Help...5-6 cm dilated with bulging membranes

So..I'm about 37-38 weeks pregnant and two sundays ago I was having contractions so my doctor sent me to the hospital but was not dilating at all. They sent me home and last week at my appointment I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. I was pleased and didn't think anything of it cause it's normal to start dilating. But yesterday I had another doctors appointment(exactly 1 week later)and the doctor said that I was 5-6 cm dilated with bulging membranes and the baby is very low. He sent me to the hospital and the doctor there was not very concerned so she sent me home after 1 hour of observation. I have felt no contractions other than BH contractions but I do have a ton of pressure in my pelvis area and feel like the baby is going to drop onto the floor when I stand up. Should I be concerned that I got sent home. The oncall doctor said that I was only 36 weeks but that's not possible and I'm measuring at 39 weeks. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't be concerned at all. Just wait until contractions start. Going to the hospital now will only increase the medical interventions you recieve as well as your time in the hospital.

Walk around, drink raspberry leaf or cumin tea, have sex as long as you bag remains intact, etc. to see if you can get contractions going but there is not need to rush off to the hospital unless you feel something is wrong.

They aren't "supposed" to keep you at this point...it's just that usually they'll allow you to stay after 4 cm.
    Anonymous

• Wait it out! Something will happen soon enough. Watch for leaking fluids and contractions and count your kicks.
    Anonymous

• I'd go back to the hospital and tell them again. If your 5-6 cm dialated theyre supposd to keep you.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would go back to the hospital, or at least call your dr to find out why you are home and not in the hospital. Maybe its because your so far along. At 29 weeks with my daughter they told me I had a bulging membrane and they put me in the hospital right away, didn't even let me go home to any of my stuff. They had my bed tilted back so I was basically on my head for three days! It sucked!
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 10:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Well there is a difference between that happening at 29 weeks and it happening when your term. YOU could have gone into preterm labor and had an extremely premature baby. She on the other hand is term and it's completely fine for her to be at home.
    Anonymous

• I see no reason why you should be in the hospital. Try to relax and wait for labor to start
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:22 AM on May. 28, 2009