Self stimulating 11 month old boy?

While crawling on the floor, my 11 month old son will stop and lay on his front and kinda grind with his head down in his hands. Is he self stimulating? If so, What do I do about that? He does it a lot so I usually try to get him interested in something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CRussette

Asked by CRussette at 10:03 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• completely disregard the are you stupid comment. there is nothing stupid about it....RESEARCH! i took a psych class that focused alot on this..its NORMAL. actually its been proven that little boys INFANTS can get erections in the womb, and continue to do so after theyre born. Think about it, research also has shown that children find themselves and "masturbate" before the age of two. not because it feels good, but its new. after age five. sorry to say thats because it feels good. how you decide to handle it is on you. but letting them explore on their own is healthiest. Screaming at a child and calling him disgusting could be damaging!!!! Oh and just be careful what he watches mommy and daddy doing!! kids are smarter than most give them credit for, they repeat what they hear and what they see!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Is this for real.
    Anonymous

• He's exploring. Let him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• what! are you stupid he is a baby
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is normal for very young children to stimulate themselves, we are all born sexual beings and they have no idea about what they are doing, and just know to do what feels good. The phases will come and go of him discovering things that feel good and as he gets older you can teach him that is something, not to be ashamed of, but to do in private. My dd started around 1 and didn't stop till 2.5! It was embarrassing sometimes, but she didn't know. Just redirecting him at this age is the right thing to do.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 11:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• It's normal. Don't worry about it and don't make it "weird." He's just a baby and he's exploring his body. No big deal.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Awe haha I can't wait till something like this happens! I wouldn't be worried, it's normal and quite funny!
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:40 PM on May. 27, 2009