Why does my 6 month old not sleep?

He's the only baby that I've heard about so far from my friends that stays up sometimes for 5-6 hours before going to sleep. He woke up at 8AM, took about an hour nap at 12PM and has been up since 1PM (now 8PM). I've tried just letting him fuss for a little since it's bedtime, rocking him, walking around the house with him with the lights off saying goodnight but nothing.

He was doing so good with steady naps and now that I'm pregnant and start school he decides to stay up? Could it be teething? He doesn't cry when he's up, just when I try to get him to take his usual naps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would speak to his doctor
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 10:48 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would but we're waiting on insurance since I had to drop mine once I became pregnant. We just couldn't afford it, and our state offers it for free for some people if needed. It may be another month before I can make a doctor's appointment (which is when he was scheduled for his routine appointment before we had to cancel).
    Anonymous

• It could be teething, learning to crawl, etc. Common when they learn something new. My daughter has never needed the amount of sleep that was "normal." She stopped napping altogether right bf her second bday. She didn't sleep through the night until she was 28 months old, and I took the wheat out of her diet (she is not celiac). Wheat made her almost more active, so she couldn't settle down. She didn't cry. She was just awake and ready to play! Is there wheat in his cereal? Now, I am expecting #2, and I will be cutting out wheat early since I am BFing, so we can sleep as much as the baby will allow this time! As long as he is happy and growing, I would worry to much and try to sleep all you can yourself! Kuddos to you for going back to school as well! Thank goodness for concealer, coffee, and chocolate, right? Best wishes!

aim1105

Answer by aim1105 at 11:33 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Awe aim1105 thank you for you reply, that brought up my spirits a bit :] He JUST went to bed *crosses fingers*. Oh and the wheat thing, I give him oatmeal rice cereal, is that the same? If so I'm cutting it out STAT haha. He is teething, but not crawling yet. I was actually looking forward to crawling so that it would tire him out a little. I swear he is the cutest little monster ever! haha
    Anonymous

• It's because he's six months old!

It's more normal for them NOT to sleep than for them to sleep at this age.

At that, yours sleeps WAY more than mine did.

Word to the wise: No comparing to your friends' babies. It's the road to madness.

He's NORMAL.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:14 AM on May. 28, 2009