AHHH! Dinner time HELL!

So, my almost 4 step son has this problem where he'll decide that he wants to eat something else and he'll hold the bite of food in his mouth and throw a fit and try to spit it out. It doesn't matter what it is; hamburgers, chicken, corndogs....everything!

His mother says we should just let him spit it out and give him what it is that he wants to eat....but that's not how life works. When life gives you Lemons, you don't ask for Oranges. He has to eat whats made for him. I plan meals very carefully around things I know he likes. He wants yogurt melts or gerber fruit snacks instead. They're good for him, but that's not dinner. (who am i kidding, he does this at lunch too!)

We're at wits end!! What do we do?!?

blu_ied_gurl

Asked by blu_ied_gurl at 11:02 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sound slike he needs a time out.....and if he still wont eat what you made for him then he can go to bed hungry... you are not a sous chef and he cannot get what he wants all the time... his mom is instigating it by letting him get away with that behavior.. he also needs to realize that at his moms house there is a set of rules and at his dad and step moms house there is another and he needs to behave and act appropriate at supper time.
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 2:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Glad you asked this question....my sons whos almost four is starting to do that too. He sometimes will take a bite and act like it tastes bad and wont swollow. He wont eat what i cook for us....and im tired of always having to make his something different just so he will eat. He wants hot dogs all the time! That or ham and cheese sandwich. GRR, i hope someone can help us!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We've been making him hold it in his mouth....but this seems unhygienic, to say the least.

I'm sooo glad we aren't alone! I've never seen another kid do this. Its a relief just to know someone else is dealing with this!
    Anonymous

• Thats what i was thinking to....even though i didnt have an answer i figured id let you know you werent alone!! My son doesnt do it with everything...but its like he does it and its not because he doesnt like it.....he just doesnt want it. GOSH, it is aggravating. Plus he doesnt want to try anything!! He automatically says he doesnt like it. I guess he will start eating if i dont give him something else to replace what he wont eat. He will realize he will go hungry if he doesnt eat what we give him. it does sound mean, but what is he gonna do when he gets to school? hes gotta learn!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:14 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter tried doing that and i don't know you're opinion on this, but I tell her that's all she gets and if she doesn't want to eat it, she won't get anything else. She always comes back to eat it when she gets hungry enough... but i think it's them trying to test their independence? idk, but that worked for me!
    Anonymous

• we've tried that. but he's content to go hungry. he'll go a whole day not eating (I CANT bring myself to let him do that, so I'll give him Pediasure) I just don't know :(.
    blu_ied_gurl

Answer by blu_ied_gurl at 11:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I do the same thing with my 4 year old to the last Annon, but he never ends up coming back to it, so I chalk it up to he wasn't really hungry...who knows, but I am NOT making several different meals for everyone. I make dinner by 5:30 and if you don't eat, well then it was your (the kids, or husband for that matter) decision...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• in my house, there is no restaurant. i make food, it's your choice whether you eat or not, if not, there is nothing else offered til the next scheduled meal/snack time. it works great for us.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm glad to know that we're doing all we can. Thank you guys for the replies. We'll just have to fight it out. I had hoped that there would be a solution, but at least I know the general idea is exactly what we're doing. *sigh* thanks guys!!
    blu_ied_gurl

Answer by blu_ied_gurl at 2:12 PM on May. 28, 2009