How old were your kids when....

they were able to wake up (say, on the weekend) and do whatever without needing to wake you up and able to stay out of trouble?

I have a 3 1/2 and a 1 1/2 year old and a husband who's the biggest baby of them all and I'm dying for a sleep-in day, lol!

kmingledorff

Asked by kmingledorff at 11:07 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• AMEN!!!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• About 5.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:09 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Mine are 5 and 3, and I can sometimes pretend like I don't hear them in the mornings. They wake up, and turn on the tv. They are able to get their own yogurt drinks, or snacks for breakfast. Usually they will come in the bedroom and have me open them, but then they return to the living room. If I'm lucky I will get an extra 30 minutes in bed after they wake up, but that's with being woken up every 5 minutes. Now on the weekends, their brother is home (my step son who is 13), and I usually them wake him up to keep themselves entertained. Then I get about an hour in bed, with interruptions only every 10-15 minutes.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• At about 3 years old.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 1:20 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Some where around 8-10
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:52 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My 5 1/2 year old gets up now and goes and sits on the couch to watch TV while I (and her little sister) sleep. Sometimes, she'll keep her sister occupied too, it just depends. I imagine in the next year or so, that they will both learn how to be more self-sufficient in the mornings. :)
    caitandcarasmom

Answer by caitandcarasmom at 10:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I've got a 6yo and a 18mo, and my 6yo has been getting herself breakfast for about a year. She feels sorry for me because I'm pregnant, and sometimes just crawls in bed with me and rubs my back. But sometimes she entertains her brother when he gets up. She gives him all his toys he points at in his crib until I've slept about an extra half an hour or so.

Hang on! They gain their independance gradually, and eventually they won't need us! (at least that's what all my friends with older kids keep telling me!) I understand with the sleep thing, tho!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Mine were 5. By then they'd go downstairs and turn on the TV and sit and watch and wait for someone , a parent, to come down.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 2:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would say when he turned 5...he's now 6 but still doesn't let us sleep for long. Why doesn't your husband get up with them and let you sleep in? One hand should wash the other. My husband and I take turns all of the time.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't let little ones wander around the house by themselves while you are sleeping. You never know what they might decide to do. I don't know where your husband would be, but if he is sleeping aswell, your kids could: leave the house, turn on the stove, get out knives...if you don't have your husband to help you, I thin you will just have to get up. I would not be able to sleep if it was me. My oldest was always an early riser when she was younger, we are talking 5 am! But we would just get up and enjoy the day. Now she is 7, and still gets up at 6.30 on weekends. That's just when our day starts...
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 1:25 PM on May. 30, 2009