AHHH! Dinner time HELL!

So, my almost 4 step son has this problem where he'll decide that he wants to eat something else and he'll hold the bite of food in his mouth and throw a fit and try to spit it out. It doesn't matter what it is; hamburgers, chicken, corndogs....everything!

His mother says we should just let him spit it out and give him what it is that he wants to eat....but that's not how life works. When life gives you Lemons, you don't ask for Oranges. He has to eat whats made for him. I plan meals very carefully around things I know he likes. He wants yogurt melts or gerber fruit snacks instead. They're good for him, but that's not dinner. (who am i kidding, he does this at lunch too!)

We're at wits end!! What do we do?!?

blu_ied_gurl

Asked by blu_ied_gurl at 11:12 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my children don't like what we are having they must still sit at the table with everyone. They are not allowed to push their plate away in disgust. I hate that. They are also not allowed to pick it apart & destroy a perfectly good plate of what can be left overs. Sometimes, just sitting there with the family, they eat.  Sometimes they don't eat. Whatever, they get nothing else that night. The 1st time you send him to bed without catering to his every culinary whim, it may be a lot of drama. He'll think twice next time. Just make sure you have Dad on board before you do this. This mostly happens with my 5 year old daughter & it was horrible the 1st time. My husband is a big softy & wants to give in. But I am firm with my ruling & now, no drama. Yea!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Daddy is 100% on board! We send him to bed without eating frequently. We never give in. But he's done this at every meal. Hes content to go hungry. I CANT let him starve to death, so I'll give him a Pediasure.....hes already malnourished (his mom just gives him what he wants, ie chicken nuggets or PB&J and nothing else. PB&J morning, noon, and night!!).
    blu_ied_gurl

Answer by blu_ied_gurl at 11:31 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I've got a stepbaby with food issues, too. We used to either force him to try three bites of whatever or make him sit at the table 'til he ate a certain portion of food, but you know what? Every expert out there says that food wars are completely counterproductive, and that's been my experience, too. So my husband and I have decided to check out of the food wars.

Now, if my stepbaby doesn't want dinner, fine. He can have a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk along with some carrot sticks or apple or whatever I've got and there's no other option. If he wants dessert (if there's any) then he eats it all without whining.

Pick ONE option and that's that. He eats, he's happy. You're not battling a 4 year old or hearing how gross everything is. You're not miserable and he's not miserable. Food doesn't become an issue and best of all you don't have to hear anything from the ex about it. lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:14 AM on May. 28, 2009