AHHH! Dinner time HELL!

So, my almost 4 step son has this problem where he'll decide that he wants to eat something else and he'll hold the bite of food in his mouth and throw a fit and try to spit it out. It doesn't matter what it is; hamburgers, chicken, corndogs....everything!

His mother says we should just let him spit it out and give him what it is that he wants to eat....but that's not how life works. When life gives you Lemons, you don't ask for Oranges. He has to eat whats made for him. I plan meals very carefully around things I know he likes. He wants yogurt melts or gerber fruit snacks instead. They're good for him, but that's not dinner. (who am i kidding, he does this at lunch too!)

We're at wits end!! What do we do?!?

blu_ied_gurl

Asked by blu_ied_gurl at 11:13 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• We had this with our "picky eatter" he wasn't picky about what food, just WHEN he wanted to eat. He would snack all day, then protest any sit down meal. (Yes, even if I didn't fill him up with snacks) So obv. I made the snacks count, but what realy helpped was getting him in on the dinner routine. Help pick the meal, prepare the meal, sometimes in a seprate bowl I let him make his own "mess" with the scraps while preparing dinner. We make FrenchBread pizzas and he loves putting his own toppings on. Maybe even a small bowl as a center piece on the table with fingerfoods like fruit & veggies with ranch to dip while you finish making everyones plate. That way there are options on the table. I hope you find what works for you, maybe something I said will help. Good Luck!
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:33 AM on May. 28, 2009