what do you feed a toddler? She refuses to eat anything I make and the doctor said its ok, I need some suggestions

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 11:17 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry she will eat when she gets hungry dont give in and feed her junk just b/c shes protesting.
    Anonymous

• It's a control issue! I went through this four times! Stick to your guns. If you made a meal feed the meal! Don't worry she'll eat, i promise she won't starve! Just stick to those guns! Don't give in. If you do it won't stop.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We had the same problem with our son for a while but like the anon said they will eat when they get hungry, I think some kids just do this my son still seems to only eat enough to sustain himself it's weird but if your doc says it's ok then I wouldn't worry to much.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 11:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I make a meal and if my daughter refuses to eat, she still sits in her high chair until we are done. If she does eat, and is done before us, she can get down and go play. Same for my son. I don't make them eat everything, just a reasonable amount. If they refuse to touch it or will only take a bite or two of something they enjoyed before, they aren't getting away with it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i don't believe in battling it out over food. if dd doesn't like it she doesn't have to eat it. next time i make it she might like it. i try and cook one thing i know she likes and keep things like cheese and fruit handy.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think that the right thing to do is to make one meal, and if the kid's don't like it, then they can go without.....but I am a weekling and I give in to my kid's!! LOL! Sorry, but I have no will power and I can't stand to see my kid's go without a meal just because they don't like what I have made. Usually my 2 1/2 year old will eat anything I give her, but my 7 1/2 year old daughter refuses to eat anything unless it is pizza, chicken nuggets, or soup. So if I make a meal and she doesn't like it, I give in and just make her some cereal and toast. I know...I am not being a very good mom by giving in to her, but really...they are only little once, and it doesn't take too much time to make a coupke pieces of toast and a bowl of cereal for her.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 12:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think we put so much pressure on ourselves to make sure our little ones have the perfect diet. As long as the foods that she will eat have nutrition then don't worry about. All you can do is try, try , and try again, but don't force. If she doesn't like something yet, no biggy. They grow into different eating stages and eventually she eat a variety of foods and veggies. My son is now eating a veggie mixture that he wouldn't eat two months ago. He didn't like pasta before either. I just keep trying a long the way. When we're having something for dinner that I think he won't like I'll make him something else to eat, but offer him what we are having first. If he's not into it then I give the alternative (which is always fruit, veggies, and a dairy). He continues to shock me along the way by eating something that he wouldn't a month ago. Blow it off and it will change.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:31 AM on May. 28, 2009

• you mean your kids eat???

lol mine east great for lunch and breakfast and snacks but not dinner.. its weird...

but i make 1 meal and if he dosent eat it its tough love! im not making anything else...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:31 AM on May. 28, 2009

• don't feed her a snack or give her juice, water or milk before dinner. Then make sure she's really hungry!
    If she doesn't eat it, tell her 'ok', let her get down and go play. If she's hungry later, give her the same food.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 1:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I should clarify. If it is something they have never had before or I tried something different with it and they try it but don't like it, I will give them something else. No one should be expected to eat food they don't like. But if it is a common staple in the house and they won't eat because they would rather play or whatever, then they are staying at the table. If they are sick, they are not expected to eat either.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:58 AM on May. 28, 2009