Why do parents leave their kids unattended?

Any decent person with half a brain knows it is NOT safe to leave your child unattended in this day and age. It is NOT safe to let them play outside by themselves, go to the park by themselves, etc. Look at all the kids being abducted, even right out of their own homes! It can happen to anyone....do you really think any of the parents of abducted children said, "oh yes, my child will be kidnapped, it's only a matter of time!"?
Why do people think bad stuff could NEVER happen to them?
BE A PARENT...WATCH YOUR DAMN KIDS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• WOW...such hate, where did this come from?
    Anonymous

• I agree me and my husband always see young kids walking alone down streets and we live in a small town but still I wouldnt let my nine year old walk alone at all theres just too much that goes on and sexual predators are everywhere no matter how big your town!!!
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 11:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• OP

Sorry to be hateful, lol....a little girl that lives a mile away (in my daughter's class--she's only 7!) was just riding her bike past my house. It's nearly dark here, we live in the damn country! My husband is driving her home as we speak.
    Her mom doesn't give a rats ass...she believes this little girl is old enough to be "self-sufficient" (her words).
    My heart breaks for this kid.
    Anonymous

• What I hate is when I see very small children are playing in the front yard alone. Because they seem very likely to be hit by a car. And less likely stolen. It makes me crazy.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We used to play outside all the time when I was little...I guess it depends on the neighborhood.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:30 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I let my dd play outside, but I live across the street from my DH's aunt, and his grandparents live next door to her. There is usually at least one adult outside at all times here.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Last summer there was a little girl who was under two outside playing in a kiddy pool alone, every day!!! It really bothered me. The sad thing is the parents never see anything wrong with it until something really bad happens. And they always blame someone else!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We aren't wardens, and although I believe we should always be consious of what are children are doing, I don't feel that past a certian age (which would depend on the childs maturity) we need to hover over them.It is a really hard balance of letting them become independent and protecting them. Is this mother wrong?..Who knows, she knows her DD better then anyone, at 7 I was running the neighborhood, times are different, but then so are the kids of today, they are much more "street smart" then we ever were.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:47 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Yeah well today I caught some of the neighborhood boys trying to pry open our mailboxes with a metal stick and their parents didn't give a shit! That's a federal offense, that's frustrating. I called the cops on them this time since the parents won't do anything.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:51 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I totally agree. I will not let my two girl's play outside by themselves. They are 2 and 7. We live in a really small town, but on a busy street. I am so scared that one on them will get hit by a car one of these days. Also, our town sit's around a lake, and we live on the lake side. We have a lake right in our back yard. It drives me nut's! I am always outside with my kid's.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2009