I have a 3 year old daughter and have a newborn who is 7 weeks old. my 3 year old was totally potty trained now shes peeing on the floor, first it started where my husband and I would have to put her on the potty now its the floor how do I get her to stop?

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 11:21 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find a way to spend more time with her and give her the attention she's missing. What she's thinking is that negative attention is better then none. I know it's super hard, my younger 2 are only 18 months apart. Been there and done that. GL
    Anonymous

• It is very normal for a toddler to regress slightly when a new child comes into the picture. It's not just about her anymore. I have kids very close together and went through the same thing. I would find my kids refusing to do things that they normally did for themselves to get my attention. Just don't respond to the behavior with high reactivity. Let her work it out, she will. It's very common for the older sibling to become whiny and needy for the first few months after baby is born. It'll pass I promise!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• she is doing that because of the new baby. Let her know you love her & spend time alone with her.
    Refer to her new sibling as her baby, and let her get you diapers. I wouldn't make a big deal when she does it , just simply have her help you clean it up. Keep letting her know what privileges a big girl gets that a baby doesn't. Big girls can eat ice cream, play outside, go to school, go potty.
    If you don't like the idea of her cleaning it up.. just tell her it makes me sad when you go potty on the floor. DON"T call her a baby after all that is what she wants. talk to her doctor & check out the internet
    on the topic of babies & older siblings.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:29 PM on May. 27, 2009