I know my answer but I wanna know what other women think. Would you leave your husband if he physically abused you?

My husband has always been very verbally and emotionally abusive. He recently took it too far and really hurt me physically. I tried to stay and make it work for the kids but, I just can't do it. We tried marriage counseling but i still cant get past all of the abuse. I went to a domestic violence counselor and requested legal assistance and I told my husband that I would be leaving him. He is all butt hurt and is giving me a guilt trip. I don't love him any more and I am leaving. If your DH or SO did this to you would you leave too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• FIRST of all there is no guilt trip in the world that should make you want to stay with him ,You should be with someone because thats where you want to be otherwise it will just end up causing problems later on in your relationship,If you do not love him anymore then that combined with the abuse should let you know that you arent happy.Children are much happier growing up with parents who are separated but happy as opposed to living with 2 unhappily married people.Life is short and if hes not your soulmate then cut the cord {Romantically}so you will have the opportunity to "bump "into your future mate.We have to BE happy first and foremost or everyone around you could suffer.A Happy Mommy begets a happy family..lol
    Kimberly
    nvthsbby

Answer by nvthsbby at 11:35 AM on May. 28, 2009

• No doubt about that, i would leave. You're making the right decision and I'm so proud of you that you are a strong woman and you're doing what's not only best for you but what's best for your children as well. It really takes a lot of strength and stay strong!
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 11:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would leave......or i think so. I dont think anyone knows that answer unless they are in that kind of situation. Sometimes you want to and you feel frightened to. so who knows. But i would hope I would leave. No one deserves that. Not even one time
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would leave, I wouldn't want my boys growing up in house that had violence in it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You deserve far better.
    Your children deserve far better.

Good for you for leaving. He won't change, no matter what he says. Let him do his guilt trip thing. Do your best to ignore him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i can honestly say yes to that because i have 2 little girls 4 and almost 1 .....and daughters look up to their mothers and if i stayed it would be teaching them its okay ;;;;;;;that is okay for a man to hurt a woman and its NOT okay never stay for the kids cuz you will end up hurting them more in the end by staying.......trust me .....
    emilysmama05

Answer by emilysmama05 at 11:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh honey! I was there! He is trying to manipulate you in order to get control back. The longer you stay away the healthier you will get! You won't feel guilty anymore. Abuse is a cycle that never ends, it takes a break, which makes the abusee think it's never going to happen again, but it will resume eventually. I would feel guiltier for staying and giving my kids a complex. I did counseling too, it doesn't work. Leave and get yourself healthy! Learn to love yourself again and get to know yourself so you don't enter another abusive relationship with someone else. Break the cycle don't start it over with someone else. Stand your ground and tell yourself you are done, and he's not going to change, it's gonna get worse! If you ever need to talk message me!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah, and the man that abused me for six years also watched his mom's bf beat the living crap out of him and her for many years growing up. He's a very sick man because of it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:06 AM on May. 28, 2009

• In a heartbeat...good for you and STAY STRONG!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:13 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes I would absolutely leave, and I am very proud of you that that is what you are doing! There are so many women out there who cannot find the courage or strength to leave their abuser so you should know that what you are doing is very commendable. No woman or child EVER deserves to be abused, whether it is physically, mentally, emotionally, sexually, or what have you. All of us deserve to have a wonderful man who would never dream about hurting us, and that is what you will find, I can promise you that. He is going to say and try several different things to try and convince you to stay with him, but don't fall for it! By leaving him you are doing the best thing for yourself and your kids, and this will be a huge example for them and their futures. They will always remember that mommy didn't let a man continue to hurt her, so therefore they won't let someone do it to them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:15 AM on May. 28, 2009