How do I get my mom to stop

buying me girl clothes, making me girl blankets, and giving me just about anything pink/purple? I'm only 8 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and I guess since I already have a boy she's assuming that I'm going to have a girl. I've already asked her nicely to please stop and that she's just getting my hopes up and I can tell even THAT hurt her feelings.

What do I do? I'm trying so hard to just hope for a healthy baby, and not wish too much for a baby girl, but she just keeps making it worse.

ours

Asked by ours at 12:38 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well it's good to know she's excited.
    I mean if she wants to buy you things and make you things, that's fine, try and tell her to make then gender neutral until you know the sex, if you're going to find out that is.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 12:43 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Sounds like my MIL; with our 3rd pregnancy (30 weeks now) she thought for sure it was a girl so she just bought & made girl stuff. She was so disappointed to hear we were having our 3rd boy! Just be honest with your mom that you don't want to get your hopes up & she shouldn't get her hopes up either until you know for sure.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• just accept them. thats rude to tell her to stop. just obviously very excited. dont kill her fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I hate to sound critical (and I know you are hormonal so I will try to take it easy on you) but do you know how many girls would LOVE to have a mom like yours? Try to be thankful that she is so excited about you having a baby!! If you have another boy--what have you lost by humoring her desire for a granddaughter?Are you going to have a sonogram and find out what you're having? If you are and it turns out you're carrying another boy, that will put the stoppers on her, and if it's a girl, then you will rejoice together that it IS a girl. Either way, it is a joyous time, and it should be a celebration. Try not to stress over the small stuff.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 12:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree, don't worry about it. My mom and MIL did the same thing with boy stuff my 2nd time around since I already had a girl and we all hoped so bad for a boy. I just laughed at them and told them I sure hope you're not wasting your money. They just said oh well, if it's a girl then we will give it to someone who needs it. If you REALLY want her to stop, you may have to get firm and serious, but really it's her business what she buys...just tell her not to give it to you until you know what your having.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 1:15 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Steer her towards Kohl's and keep the receipts. She can buy whatever she wants, and if the baby is a boy you can return all the girl stuff in favor of boy items. As long as you have the receipt, you can return for a full refund five Christmases from now.

I know it is hard on your feelings though, it is soo hard not to get hopes up for a certain gender. Congrats on the pregnancy though!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:52 AM on May. 28, 2009

• your mom needs to calm down....you don't even know the gender yet...i've never heard of someone buying all one gender specific clothing, etc...when you're still so early on...that's weird... just tell your mom stop it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on May. 28, 2009