car problems.. with baby on the way..need to vent

Ok I bought a 1996 ford wind star $1800 with my tax money, in march 2009. I had to put new brake lines in, did a tune up, did a few oil changes. Now the head gasket is blown, it leaks, brakes make noise, & needs a engine. I have three girls, a step son six weeks in the summer, and I am having a c-section June 5th.
The car I have will not fit everyone & I can't afford a engine!! To top it off the car I have need a radiator!

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 12:43 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• $1800 is very cheap. Plus it's a 13 year old car. I once bought a car off the street for cheap and it caused nothing but huge credit card bills that I had to pay off. Lesson learned: but from a reputable used car lot or new from dealership. Or CarMax, that's where we got my husband's new used car :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:47 AM on May. 28, 2009

• wow i am sorry ur going thru this,hope all gets better,God answers prayers!
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We bought a truck "Dodge Ram 98" $3,000 had it for about a month and had to get a new transmission, it sucked! But his boss at the time paid to have it fixed and he took a little money out of my husbands paycheck every payday untill we paid it off. Hope things work out for you too.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:57 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I feel you this sorta happened to me i buyed a newer car 2004 spent all the money i have and took a big loan on it maybe a year ago and it keeps breaking just paid 1200 which i totally didnt have to fix it and then had to take it back a week later for something else :( it blows got two little once and i need my car for work ect.. 1800 is alot of money not sure what state but maybe if there is a lemon law or something
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 2:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Check into the lemon laws in your state in kansas if it has been less then a year the lot can be made to fix it . Dosen;t hurt to try
    babygirl9669

Answer by babygirl9669 at 4:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• $1800 is alot of money to my family. I bought from a dealer I live in IL & lemon laws are for new cars only here.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:40 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Maiahlynn- Im sorry you are going thru this!! Car problems are so frustrating and expensive! I have said a prayer for you and your family! I am from southern Illinois...which direction are you?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Hubby and I own a repair shop, and we have a lot of customers who will get those "short-term" title loans on the vehicle to pay for major repairs. With the economy the way it is, it seems like people lately can't fix their cars until they absolutely HAVE to, and by then, it's pretty costly. BTW, we've replaced about 6 motors in the last two weeks, and I've had about 4 blown head gaskets roll through the door. 3 of them just decided to junk the cars... My price to do the job would be about $1100. (But for a friend, it'd be a lot less) That's almost what you paid for the van!!!! If you do decide to do the repair, though, make sure they send the heads to a machine shop. and get them surfaced!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• sorry to say hun but there is a reason why fords are so cheap. Hope you choose a different brand next time.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 3:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Are you somewhere with public transit?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 PM on May. 28, 2009