I am trying to find out what happens if you choose not to volunteer for Obama's service.

At one time I had heard that if we choose not to volunteer then we wouldn't qualify for federal services. Among that was considered social security and medicare. I cannot find the links. Do any of you remember these? If so can you help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• *Nothing* will happen. You are not required to do this service.

Be more concerned about whether Social Security is still going to be around! I rather doubt it will. I plan to never retire, and will likely die in the middle of a broadcast. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I actually agree with gdiamante! While I still think there are plans to develop a "youth corps" that really does make me shudder, I think the best course of action is do everything possible for yourself...work as hard as you need to in order to not be dependent on the government at any point in your life! Do not expect that Social Security or Medicare will be around for you when you need it....chances are it's already been spent in the last 100 days!

If you are not dependent on the government, the government will have less to hold over you! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• If someone tried to sell you volunteering as a guarantee to medicare or social security. Run! Run like hell!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:01 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I believe HR 1444 will be as close to that as you will find publicly. It's making it's way through the process, but it spells out more than I find comfortable. Like requiring volunteerism to make you elegible for a driver's license.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Nothing will happen to you and no one is trying to sell anyone volunteering as a guarantee for medicare or social security.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It is not a guarantee for anything, but not volunteering is a guarantee that you will not be able to do or get anything! People will die in droves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 28, 2009

• They hold you down and force-feed you the Kool-Aid.
    Anonymous

• That is not even near true. The only pay for play Obama is proposing is for college. You pay by volunteering and you get to go to college (up to a certain point) on the American taxpayer. I hope it doesn't pass.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• http://snopes.com/politics/obama/give.asp
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Under the GIVE Act, I think it just excludes you from receiving government funds for college (have read that it's somewhere up to $4,000 for fulfilling the required hours of volunteerism to receive funds-likely funds being sent directly to the institution which is being attended).

But after doing a little research, pp is correct that there is another bill on the horizon with mandatory wording. You can find it in Section 4, it also includes baby boomers.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1444/text

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:01 PM on May. 28, 2009