Biting

My 1yr old has a really bad habit of biting when he wants something. I have tried to scold him (that hurts mommy) and sit him down but for some reason it makes him laugh (I swear I keep a straight face when I do this).

I was told by a therapist to start teaching him early to verbalize his wants,

(Oh, you want to crawl on the floor, or you want that toy over there) since he doesn't talk yet.

Problem is I'm getting very frustrated. I DO NOT believe in hitting my child and would like to know how other people who feel the same have dealt with this situation.

www.pamperedgreen.com
Earth Friendly baby products

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:18 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did this as well. Much like you, I'd tell him no, that biting was wrong then put him down and totally ignore him. it's an attention getting mechanism so if it doesn't work, it will stop. Some days I actually needed to leave the room (making sure I could seem him but he couldn't get to me) because he'd chase after me to bite me!! If he bites you while you're holding him (ie. he doesn't want to be held) face him away from you, wrap both his arms around him (to stop him from biting you again) and wait a few minutes, telling him that biting is wrong. If you're consistent, it will stop. (Like you, I don't believe in hitting him or biting back..)

I also think that teaching baby sign language will help if it's frustration with communicating that's causing it. We did that with our son too. Simple signs like eat, drink, help, open, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• bite him back. obviously not too hard. I tried this with my son and it worked!! If that doesn't work for you try getting down to his level and in a very stern voice tell him "no biting".. or even put him in a time out if it persists.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• my 10 month old does it too.... we grab both his cheeeks< not hard> and tell him biting is BAD!! works mostly
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I would never, will never bite a child back. Biting is one of the worst things one person can do to another person.
    Try teaching ASL. It will help him communicate what he wants. Also, as you noticed, certian things trigger him to bite. So be faster. If you think he is going to bite you move or stop him or whatever you need to do. Be alert!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter used to bite me, i bite her back ONCE and she hasn't done it to me since! I have a friend whose daughter would bite her constantly leaving bruising and she tried EVERYTHING! Talking to her, time outs, taking toys away... I told her to give her bite her very lightly and when she did the biting stopped immediately.
    Another solution that MIGHT work, sign language! I taught my daughter eat, drink, sleep, more, milk, even dog and cat! Whenever she started kicking and screaming I would sit her up, look her in the eyes and sign things she might want while saying the word. She would sign what she wanted and the fit was over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Also i'd like to add that most children get bit by other children. They will learn soon enough how it feels to get bit and it still may not stop it.
    outstandingLove

• i agree outstandinglove, but i don't want my daughter to get bit in the process of another kid learning it's wrong and it hurts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My son started doing this around 1 too. He did it when his molars were coming in and again around 18 mos when his eye-teeth were coming in. He laughed about it. I would just keep telling him NO. Biting is not nice. Then I would give him something to soothe his teeth and that usually helped. Soon as the teeth came in the biting stopped. Could your baby be teething?
    Noahsmama1206

Answer by Noahsmama1206 at 2:09 AM on May. 28, 2009