Whats the deal?

Well my son is a first grader and was doing a great job in school when we were in washington, then we move to texas and he is behind? I cant help to feel its our fault as parents, moving all the time bing in the military my son has been in three different school. Now i get the news he may not be ready for second grade? Im so upset because he is looking forward to going to second grade. They said the standers here in texas are very much higher and theres no exceptions. So im hoping we can get him caught up by getting him in summer school. Am i a bad mom for wanting to go back to washington where my son was doing great and had no problems?

beastandkids

Asked by beastandkids at 1:22 AM on May. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No it's not your fault it's texas school system....they harper hard on the TAKS and TAAS testing that the kids dont really get the proper education they need.... I live in texas...and i was a awesome student until i movedhere from california.. trust me you will come to find that Srudents in texas are the dumbest and it's because of the TAKS/TAAS testing. It's really gotten way out of hand... DId you know they start that stupid testing in 1st grade!!!!!!! ridiculous...
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 2:32 AM on May. 28, 2009

• oh and no your not a bad mom.. if i were u i would go back i don;t knwo about washington's school system but i know how corrupt texas is and if i could go back to california and send my girls to schol there I WOULD!!
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 2:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Are you a bad mom for wanting to "take the easy way out" and move back to Washington? Not necessarily. We can't much help how we feel. But what are you going to do about it? What you do is much more important than how you feel about it. You might want to look into home schooling, especially If you think you will keep moving, It would offer your child a more consistent education with fewer transitions. Plus you could get started over the summer so he gets caught up too. It's a lot of work and you have to go find a social outlet for him in addition to school time, but it is up to you what you want to do about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'd say home school till you can catch him up. You can cover much more when it is just one on one than the kid can in a class room. You can always sign him up for baseball, basket ball play groups and such for social interaction.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• its the school system. We left New Jersey to come to South Carolina. The stuff my daughter was doing here in 8th grade she did in 6th in Jersey.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i'd want to go back too. but all schools are different, just like certain grades will only get you into certain colleges/universities. see if they'll allow an after school program, or if there is some summer tutoring type thing to have her caught up. how are her grades in the new school? unless she's failing i dont see why she cant move forward.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 12:33 PM on May. 28, 2009