Now i have a question about death.

While a person is alive they will hear all the time that if they are not Christian that they are going to hell.
And then, when the person dies all the Christians get together to comfort the family and tell them that the person is in a better place. ect ect.
So, ...to make it personal, my mom recently died. She was athiest. Did she go to heaven as so many people like to pretend she did only AFTER her death? Or did she go to hell for not believing?

She was raised Catholic and looked into many different branches of Christianity as well as other faiths before deciding she was Athiest.
Also, I am not Christian. I dont believe in heaven or hell so i will not be offended by someone speaking what they know is the truth. I'm just trying to understand other ppls reactions.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know what Christians you are talking about but I certainly would never stand around and say something like that. I think most of the time when someone says "she's in a better place now" they're referring to the abscense of earthly suffering as well as making a "blanket" statement that might be inclusive of everyone's beliefs (seeing as you don't believe there is a heaven or hell, "she's in a better place" might be the right thing for someone in a mixed-religion-group-setting to say). Remember, people are awkward and say stupid things around the greiving. They just want to make it better for you and end up stumbling over themselves.

I hold the unpopular belief that if you don't believe in Jesus, you don't go to heaven. I do not judge the souls of people who died because it is not my place. Someone could have chosen to believe upon their dying breath and their salvation is still as good as mine.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I just asked this to a friend of mine durring a religious debate... Her answer was that god only uses hell for demons and to try to scare people in to following him... NO one actually goes there... And my friend is Christian... I just quit talking at that point as it was the dumnest answer ever!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• well i beleive that if u dont repent as a sinner and accept Jesus christ into ur life then u definetly go to hell, its just the truth to ME! no way around it
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I believe she is in the grave conscious of nothing until the resurrection of the Righteous and the unrighteous, Death pays the price of sin according to the Bible and you are acquitted of your sins by death (Romans 6:7, 23) so in the resurrection she would be judged by what she does after learning the truth without Satan's influence over mankind not by what she did while under his influence ... by the way, I'm one of JW's
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• are u sure ur friend is a christian ??? she doesnt sound like it
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:31 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm sorry to say... I believe that ALL you have to do to go to heaven is believe that Christ died for your sins and rose again.. if you believe that in your heart (no matter what sins you've commited) you will go to heaven. You are invited to the party.. if you reject Christ.. it doesn't matter how good or bad you are.. you are not invited to the party (heaven), therefor.. hell is where you end up. This is a non- denominational belief. I'm not sure Catholics follows this.. as I believe they think you can do enough "good works" to get to heaven. But ponder this: as a human being.. you could never do enough good wors to get there.. it's so much easier to believe that God forgave us our sins when He sent his sone to die for them. We are all sinners.. constantly! We try to do the right thing but constantly screw up.. it would be impossible to get to heaven on our own merits!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

• aw yes. Mom studied JW's for about 2 years as well.
    well, i like your answer the best. lol But then why do ppl tell you "oh, she's in a better place"? And even more irritating, ...they told my children she went to heaven. They know she was atheist and they know i'm not Christian of any kind. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Anon 33. wow. i cant believe you just said that.

" it's so much easier to believe that God forgave us our sins when He sent his sone to die for them."
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:38 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Why.. are you being serious or sarcastic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm being serious. Dead serious. ...just because something is easier to believe in doesnt mean that it is what is the best for you. ...but that's JMO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:50 AM on May. 28, 2009