how can i get my son to sleep in his crib again?

my son is 8 months old and when he was born he slept good in his crin up until he was about 4 and a half months then he started sleeping with me he wouldnt sleep unless i was next to him and thats how it is now ill lay him in his crin after he falls asleep and like 20 min later hes awake..usually at night he wakes up after 5 min and i just dont know what to do i want him to sleep in his bed for hours not mine..

Samantha_Jean

Asked by Samantha_Jean at 1:35 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the sleep article on drjaygordon.com. BEST advice I've ever seen for transitioning a baby from the family bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I did the ol' fashioned "cry it out"
    Worked fine for my son
    I lot of parents find it very difficult to just listen to their child cry (my fiance for example, lol). But don't worry. They are in no pain. Everything will be fine, just let him cry. He'll get the idea.
    Took me less than a week to get my lil man used to his crib (was a lot better than us both being on the couch)
    Now, he won't sleep anywhere besides his own crib (and carseat).
    And I have my freedom.
    icm2008

Answer by icm2008 at 3:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We did CIO on my DD. We would go in and check on her every 10 mins. and sometimes rock her back to sleep but we just kept putting her in the crib and now she falls asleep in it with just a little bit of fussing. It will be terrible at first, but they get the idea. My kid is stubborn so she took weeks, but I hear most kids will take to it in a matter of days.
    Anonymous