I am considered high risk pregnancy because of diabetes, does anybody think they will allow me to refuse hep b shot or vit k shot?

I am worried they won't allow me to refuse certain things or give me a hard time because of my high risk pregnancy. The last baby I had it was hours until I got to see her. As soon as I delivered her they took her to the nicu. I later even found out they had given her formula when I specifically told them that I was breast feeding only. She was a perfectly healthy baby but they seemed like they insisted on doing what they wanted to do with her. I felt like I had no control over anything.

Andrea72906

Asked by Andrea72906 at 1:39 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well just say "as her parent i have decided to opt out."

tey cant make you do anything with your child you dont want done...

i opted out for both. and surprisingly, they all agreed with me except one dr who i just said well i dont want to get them... and turned over.. lol i had just had my daughter.. i didnt want to argue with him and i already made my decision. just stick to your gut! and be strong ! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i agree with momnbabygirl

They cant make you do something. Make a birhtplan. if you have it in writing they are less likely to try to pressure you into it later. or do it without your knowledge.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• If there's one thing I learned from my first pregnancy, it was to get EVERYTHING in writing. Talk to your baby's pediatrician, and work out a plan in writing for the newborn in the case that he/she gets whisked away to the NICU. Include the no-formula part as well as what shots you don't want the baby to have, and have the pediatrician sign it. Then when you go into labor, remind all nurses and doctors around that the baby's newborn plan is in your file. Cause a fuss over its importance so they can't claim that they didn't know, and insist that the baby's father go with the baby to ensure that the plan is followed. And since it is in writing, you can force them to follow the instructions.

Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i dont know why u would want to do sych a dumb thing as refuse a HEP b shot for yourchild it is very important and EVERYONE needs to have it....and if she ends up working anywhere in healthcare thy are gonna make her get it anyone minuse well do it when she's young and get it over with.
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 3:04 AM on May. 28, 2009

• as for them taking her and feeding her formula i would have sued . That's complete BS. my daughter had to be in the nicu for 6 days and they let me breastfeed they just had set times. i remember onse i was 5 minutes late for a feeding cause i slept in and they had already fed her formula i was FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 3:06 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Make a birth plan, then when they ask you to sign for hep b shot tell the nurse you are going to delay it. I did that and no one hassled me. Make sure that your husband goes everywhere with the baby mine did that as well. hepatitis B is stupid for a baby to me its pointless. Btw the hept b shot can make your baby loose there appetite it did to my daughter and she was stuck in the nicu longer because the nicu doctor said she was failing to thrive.
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 5:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Not allowing you to refuse, in most cases is illegal. That said, they would have to have court orders to keep you from refusing and those are only issued in strange and unusual circumstances. Can you deliver at a different hospital? Maybe the hospital you delivered at before was BAD.

Oh and it may be the law for the hep b vac so check w/ the doc now about that one.... GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• They can't make you do anything. Just because you are high risk from diabetes does not mean a hill of beans when it comes to the vaccines and the Vit K is for blood clotting which is not affected at all by your diabetes even if it isn't controlled well.

JJM you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. IF the babe ends up working in health care she will need the shot so get it now? They make nurses get NEW doses of the Hep B no matter what their childhood vaccination status is unless they refuse based on religious grounds. That takes the cake for stupid reasons to pump my newborn full of KNOWN nuerotoxins as soon as they are born to "protect" against a disease they are NOT at risk for unless mom or dad are Hep B positive!

Here is a great link to help if you are on the fence about vaccinations.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My newborn baby will not be working in healthcare. She will be at home, nursing and sleeping.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:15 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Make sure your husband goes with her. My baby received the hep b shot because they "forgot." My second didn't, because she didn't leave my husband's sight. This was so reassuring for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:16 AM on May. 28, 2009