I am struggling with my four year old son with behaving?

I have a four year old son, and he goes to his dads that lives two and half hours away, every other weekend for Saturday night. When he comes home to me he is mean to me, he hits me, tells me he hates me, and will not listen. This usually last for about five days. Then it gets better, and then a few days before he goes to see his dad he is mean to me again. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions??
Sandra

momofdevon

Asked by momofdevon at 1:39 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get that kid in counseling! either the dad is saying things to the child that should not be said, or the child is angry at you for his dad living too far away or angry at himself or too confused to talk about it.
    Therapy. ...
    and in the mean time, try to give him about 20 minutes of floor time 3 days a week. Get on his level and do what he wants to do. take away his electronic toys first. ...but then after that, if he says "jump on the bed" ...guess what? you jump on the bed. ect ect. if he doesnt tell you to do anything try copying him. This is special time. a time when he can work things out during play that he may not have otherwise been able to do due to certian rules. You might be able to find something about floor time if you google it. I'll check and get back to you.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:42 AM on May. 28, 2009

• here's a link.

google "Floor time therapy"

http://www.mindspring.com/~dgn/childart.htm

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Around ages 4-5 kids go through a second "terrible twos" the technical term is negativism. The difference is they can talk and make you feel like a pile of crap. When my son started I was a wreck my sweet little boy was mean, etc and I couldn't understand what I did wrong. Well I looked up and found that an extent is normal. That said, it is not excusable, give him consequences for his actions, such as time out or a privileges taken away when he hits and uses rude words like "i hate you." Also do give him special time to like oustandinlove said, and always point out what he is doing good at too. Like when you think he might get upset when he doesnt get his way, but instead behaves well, point it out. Focus more on what he is doing well. Hope this helped.

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 1:59 AM on May. 28, 2009