Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a step son that I have been raising since he was 11 months old. We live in kansas and his mom keeps asking if we will sign a paper saying that she doesn't have to pay child support but she does not want to sign over her rights. Does anyone know the laws in Kansas to get her to sign over her rights?

Answer Question

Asked by babygirl9669 at 2:21 AM on May. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 5 (67 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • Good luck but in most states you have to have them terminated.

    You may be able to bargin with her. If she signs off her rights she doesnt owe any more or any back child support. ...good luck.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • We have tied that we have said that we would pay for everything and have some clause in the paper work that would let her have some visits on holidays and birthdays. The thing that makes me sad is that she only wants to see him when it is good for her. And we have to drive an 1hr and half to take him to her because she does not have a car. My husband and I have one other child and one that is going to be born on Friday. this all puts a strian on us finaically. She is six months behind on child support because they took her income taxes

    Answer by babygirl9669 at 2:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • I don't know how you feel about keeping the child from the mother, but in most states the non-custodial parent is responsible for transportation. So she needs to figure out a way to come get the child is she wants to see her. I certainly wouldn't sign off on child support unless you are adopting her, and in most cases you cannot get the rights revoked unless there is a step parent adoption in the works.

    Answer by toriandgrace at 3:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • thank you We don't plan on letting her off that easy. The problem is half the time she will find a way to come get him but then there is no way to bring him back

    Answer by babygirl9669 at 3:40 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • An attorney in KS would know....

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:20 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • What a dirtbag! In my opinion she should either sign over rights in exchange for no payments or stop her whining and pay up like dads have to. Deadbeat moms suck too. That said, I am not sure what can be done in this situation, and best left to an attourney. You can do a free consultation with one who specializes in family cases and custody. From there you will know what your options are. Remeber that in general, the natural parent has the rights. Of course you have a lot of time invested so that will weigh in heavily too I'm sure. You guys have costody for a reason too. Either she is unfit or she simply did not want the responsibility. A judge is going to look at that. I mean 11 years! I do not know the exact details of your situation but like I said, go in for a free consult. Then decide what, if any action you want to take.

    Answer by Anjo.Solene at 7:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • I divorced in Kansas, and my ex wouldn't pay support. I went to child support enforcment, it cost me nothing and everytime he got a job they took his money and sent it to me. They had him in court everytime they found him and they threw him in jail serveral times. It costed me nothing. I bet one trip to jail she will be singing bring me the papers!
    Good Luck!

    Answer by janiemarquiss at 7:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • i like janiemarquiss' answer!!!!! that's pretty much the way it is here in Canada too! my ex is facing a jail term of 48 hours for every missed payment, and as of this week there is now a warrant for his arrest....he has not seen the kids in two years and if he agreed to sign over his rights i would gladly sign a form saying no child support.....

    Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • my ex is facing a jail term of 48 hours for every missed payment

    I wish they'd do that here. My father owes us a roundabout of $15,000 in child support. The worst they did to him was suspend his license.

    Answer by KareemsMami at 8:04 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • If I had that in writing by her I would be using it and having a petition drawn up asking the court to terminate her rights! Boy she wants her cake and eat it too! She can not pay you for 10 years, then return and want to be Mom! I don't think so!

    I would get it in writing from her that she doesnt want to pay child support, hence provide for her child, and take it to a lawyer!

    Answer by judo at 8:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.