My 3 year old is getting worse....

My 3 year old use to be happy most of the time, and when something bothered her she would come to me. Now she yell's at me, and throw's stuff, and goes out of her way to show a big scene. If I try to get in the middle of the ordeal to try to discipline her on the right and the wrong of the situation it just makes it worse. I also sit her in time out, and she just looks at me and tells me "FINE". She will sit there for however long I tell her to, and then go right back to what she wasn't suppose to be doing in the first place. I feel like I am at my wits end on what to do with her temper, and how to make her understand that this behavior is not exceptable. My mom thinks that the my best friend's son is the reason that her behavior has changed. Can it be true?

2006mom29

Asked by 2006mom29 at 2:37 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It most certianly can be. Does he act like that? If she has found out that it works for him she's gonna try to see if it works for her.
    Obviously time out is not working so you'll have to try other things. Maybe send her to her room or take away certain privledges.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes he acts like that and worse. When him and his mom come over he tells her that he is the man. She don't try to control him at all. She just always tells him that she is going to call his dad. My mom said that she can definately tell the difference in her, because now she is even getting rude with my mom to where that use to be one sure way that I could get her calmed down, and now she just run's all over her as well.
    I have gotten on to this boy myself, and tried to get him to mind, and he point blank has told me in front of my daughter that I am not his boss, and can't make him mind. I don't let him run over me, because I don't want her to see that, but what she does see could be what is the cause of her mood change.
    2006mom29

Answer by 2006mom29 at 3:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Sounds like you have a typical three year old. They don't know if they want to be big or if they are still little. I have no idea why they say terrible twos. Three is the hardest age. I have worked with many three year olds and they all go through it. Times outs do not work unless the child knows what they did wrong. They need to be told what they did wrong, what to do to correct it and what is expected of them so they don't do it again. They need to know how to handle it the way you want them to, they are after all only three years old. And after all of that, you may as not even do the time out because by the time you get all the information out they've forgotten why they are there. Just doing a time out doesn't tell them what is appropriate behavior so it continues. Let them practice what you want them to do. Remind them frequently so they don't do it again. Let them express why they are angry. Its hard being 3.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:47 AM on May. 28, 2009