• In the Spotlight:

How do I wean my 2.5 year old from nursing to sleep?

It has been an amazing and rewarding experience for us both. He has reaped many benefits. He has only been sick twice EVER. He his very smart and advanced in his speech etc.

But it is time for him to stop nursing. It is becoming too difficult for me and I think he is just too old. But he just won't give it up. What should I do??

Noahsmama1206

Asked by Noahsmama1206 at 3:22 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know they say you shouldnt, but my sister just stopped cold turkey her daughter was really attached ot it... but after a day and a half, she never again asked for a "boobie"

She made sure she ate a lot of food before going to bed so her belly was nice and full, and didnt want a boobie when waking up or didnt wake up at all
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:15 AM on May. 28, 2009

• wow when u find out an answer i wanna know. good luck. sry i have no idea. i am nursing now and love it. i wanted to go that long. wonder when mine will wean. i know this is no help sorry:(
    tashathejoo

Answer by tashathejoo at 4:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Is this the only time he nurses? If it is, have daddy put him down with a lot of extra hugs.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:20 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Your nursing doesn't have anything to do with him being smart or advanced in speech. That comes from a combination of genetics, his ability to learn quickly and your good teaching skills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I know that nursing alone does not contribute to a child's intelligence. And I know that there are MANY very intelligent formula fed babies. I just recently read a lot of studies that show babies who were nursed for at least 6 mos on average have a higher IQ than those that were not nursed.

I don't want my question to be a debate of nursing vs. formula feeding. I am not against formula feeding. In fact my son was not exclusively breastfed. He had both.

Anyway, he only nurses to go to sleep. my hubby has tried to put him down. He won't go to sleep unless I nurse him. Or, if he is extremely tired and I am at work. If he knows that I am in the house he will not sleep without me nursing him.
    Noahsmama1206

Answer by Noahsmama1206 at 6:50 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I stopped at 18 months. It took a few weeks. Week one I timed how long I nursed. week two I a third shorter (from 15 min to 10) and then my son would sit on my lap facing away from me and we'd rock/cuddle and have a bedtime story. Week three went shorter (from 10 to 5) and then more cuddles and 2 stories. Week 4 was just cuddles and stories. . .I kept him facing away from me so the would try to "self serve" Now, a few stories, some rocking & cuddles, and lay him down drowsie with his blankie and his raffie (giraffe) and he is down for the night. Good luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:47 PM on May. 28, 2009