another sleeping q

My daughter used to sleep very well through the night. My husband deployed when she was 8 months old and came back home on leave in april. He left again and since she hasn't left my side. Getting her to sleep is at least a 4 hour fight! I've tried letting her cry herself to sleep and last night she kicked her night light and broke it. Every night of letting her cry herself to sleep keeps getting worse and worse. I tried going in and rocking her to sleep and she kept waking up and wanting to play. I don't know what else I can do!

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 3:33 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like a separation thing. I would just be there for her as much as you can all throughout the day, hold her a lot, wear her in a sling, let her know you're still there for her. And, IMO the cio method won't help much here b/c that's reinforcing to her that you aren't there. I would rock as much as she needs to, this is a phase and when she feels secure she'll get back to sleeping well. My DD does that sometimes, when she just needs a little extra cuddle time and as soon as she feels fulfilled she goes to sleep no problem. Good luck!! It must be so hard to be w/out your partner.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 6:52 AM on May. 28, 2009

• not to sure about the deployment thing, because she may be having seperation issues? thank you also... to you and your family for all the dedication to our country!!!!
    when my brother was little i would cuddle him until he fell asleep.
    i just reminded him that i was there and nothing was going to hurt him.
    if she's got a comfort item i would make sure she has it.
    i'm sure it's hard on both of you and she may be picking up on ur stress too.
    i wish u all the best, and bless you.
    tashathejoo

Answer by tashathejoo at 4:18 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Healthy sleep Habits by Weisbluth might help you. I cant imagine how exhausting it must be for you. This book helped me deal with sleep issues- helped train my son to be great sleeper. It sounds to me like a little separation but also you dont want to train her to need you to rock her back to sleep all the time.. or play at an ungodly hour. One thing Weisbluth suggests is that you let her cry for 7 minutes, go in, place you hand on her, let her calm herself for 1 minute, then leave again. Wait 14 minutes, and go in again...keep doubling your time...she'll learn that you ARE there, you DO come back...but she'll be the one comforting herself.

Thank you to you and your family for protecting our country. God Bless
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2009