What is wrong w/ my hens

last week 3 died mysteriously (no predators). Now of the 8 that are left only 3 are laying. They are 7 months old. Rhode Island Reds. Can you help my chickens? Can't afford a vet.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:05 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Do you feed them scraps from your garden or table? I don't know about the ones that died, chickens are not the most resiliant of creatures, but if you feed them fruit or greens from fruit such as the tops of strawberries they will stop laying. Also if your chick feed does not have calcuim added you need to get some crushed oyster shell or the egg shells will get soft and eventually build up inside them and kill them. We have Rhode Island Reds and sometimes we would lose a hen for no apparent reason. They only lay steady for around a year anyway.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Can you give alittle more info than that? Are they eating , drinking, and pooping normally? How does the poop look? Any sneezing, coughing, discharge from the eye's or nose? I had a couple of hens die because they became an internal layer, which mean's that the eggs were just building up inside of them forming tumors and she finally died.

There is an awesome website that you can visit also Backyardchickens.com. It has all the info you could ever need about chickens, ducks, turkeys, peafowl, ect.....
    happy_mommy_4

Answer by happy_mommy_4 at 10:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• plus they have weak hearts, something could have shockd them to a heartatck..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:26 PM on May. 28, 2009