How can I improve my patience? I hate being interrupted!

I have a 2 yr old and 5 month old. Just about everytime that I do something I get interrupted by one of them. I know it is normal and part of being a mom, but it is so frustrating to me. I don't ever take it out on them. I know that when the toddler needs to go potty he needs my help. Or when the baby is hungry I need to sit down and feed her. The way I get frustrated is just look at whatever it is I am doing and just say "screw this". I rarely finish washing all the dishes because I get interrupted and just don't go back to finish them. Same thing with laundry or other chores. I just get so impatient when I get interrupted that I just stop what I am doing, focus on the kids, and not return to whatever I was working on.
How can I be more patient? How do other moms deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wanted to say i completely understand your situation and I have not found a solution. You have two kids, I have an 18 month old who is attached. I'm not allowed to leave the room since her daddy went back to iraq after r&r. It's very frustrating. I hate how dishes and laundry never end!!! I finally feel like i've accomplished something and i look at my house 2 hours later and it's in the same shape! I hope you figure something out!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• This is pretty normal... are ya getting enough sleep? If both your kids take naps, take one with em. They'll always interrupt you... mine still do and they're 9/8/6. But when they get older they understand that sometimes you don't bug mom. If I'm painting with headphones on, they won't bother me unless it's important. So you just have this rough needy patch and things will be better. If you feel too on edge, it won't hurt to talk to your doctor. I'm an uptightish person by nature, but I've learned to chill and let things slide off my back sort of say.
    When the kids want something, run and do that, make sure they're safe, then finish what you were doing... good time to get your two yr old to help ya around the house too btw... he'll think it's fun ;)
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:10 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I learned how to be more patient when I took yoga. I started it when my second child was born. I did it for the exercise, but I found I learned to be more patient with myself and others.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 AM on May. 28, 2009