Christians, how important is one's own happiness in life?

I'm struggling with this question b/c I am unhappy right now but I'm not sure what I should do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Christian shouldn't trust feelings alone to guide them. Do a reality check.What is the truth about your situation? Are you discontent about specific issues? Is there anything that you're not doing that you should be? Are you living in an unhealthy situation?
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Paul said that no matter what his lot in life, it was well with his soul. He was fine in whatever situation he was in. Now personally, I have a hard time being like paul. I like my stuff, my way...LOL.....But I have learned that there are things that I have worried too much about. Such as where I live, what I live in, what I drive, what I wear, ect... What really matters is are my children loved, are they being taught character, integrity, love, compassion, are they being fed, are they warm? Are we together as a family? Are we doing what we know Gods called us to do and obeying him to the best of our ability? Thats what really matters.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:54 AM on May. 28, 2009

• God wants us to be happy. He tells us in Jeremiah 29:11:"For I know the plans I have for you,"declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you,and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." God loves when we are happy,and He will do what is necessary to help us be happy. All we have to do is seek Him, trust Him,and let Him work His will in our lives.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:14 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Happiness is really nothing more than a choice. The Apostle Paul said that he had learned to be content in whatever situation he found himself. I truly believe that is the secret to happiness--learning to be content wherever you find yourself, knowing that God is in complete control and has the power to change your circumstances for the better. It is also helpful to remember that quite often, God has so arranged our lives because He has things to teach us, and He knows the conditions under which we are the most teachable. It all boils down to one's trust in the Lord of the universe and our realtionship with Him. True happiness really comes only from knowing Him and His power in our lives. So we can choose to be happy all the time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:43 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think if you are unhappy that it might be God's way of telling you that you need to make some changes in your life. If the change you need is a more grateful spirit, then you should strive to find blessing in your life and not focus on the negative. But it could also mean that He wants you to use your gifts in some way. You might be hiding your light under a bushel, and He wants you to come out into the community where He has work for you to do. It very much depends on what you are unhappy about and what can be done about it.
    Anonymous