I have a question for Muslim Women

We were just transfered to Bahrain by my husband's company and this is my first time in a Muslim country. I am finding that every time I go to the store someone starts playing with my daughters hair, First i had a woman do it and then I went into to Starbucks yesterday morning with my youngest and this man just started running his fingers through my daughter's hair and was playing with it, it really creeped me out. Please understand that I mean no disrespect but is this a cultural thing or am I just running into weird people?

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 5:07 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a lot of it has to do with cutlural differences- some cultures are more sensitive to personal space issues than others. My husband's family is from India and I do notice these differences... for instance some visiting relatives have been all over the kids before introductions are even made, which isnt' something that is typically done in the west. Once it actually freaked me out, since we were meeting relatives who neither dh or I had ever met in a public place and suddenly there was just some woman there trying to take my baby out of my arms!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:38 AM on May. 28, 2009

• not muslim but I moved to a muslime country as a young child, its not weird or pervs or anything like that.. honestly if your child is blonde or got anglo hair or whatever.. over there the hair is often not soft.. its hard to explain
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 5:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• it could be because over there muslim women and I think children Girls. have their hair covered up.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• well my daughter does have dirty blond hair but Bahrain is a very liberal Middle East country and while a lot of the women cover their heads, a lot don't. I m just trying to figure out if this is something I am going to have to worry about.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I was in the middle east for awhile. I think it is cultural thing. personal space is a very different to middle eastern people. Men hold hands in a none sexual way, they talk very close to you. They may not understand that touching your daughter like that would offend you. How old is you daughter? If she is very young she would not cover her hair any way. You have such a get opportunity for your child to experience a different culture enjoy it.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 8:07 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughters are 9 & 10 but my 9yr old (the one it happened to) is very small for her age.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes, it might be a culteral thing... but if it makes you uncomfortable, you have every right to ask them to stop. And if it's making your children uncomfortable, it's your job as a parent to put a stop to it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It could be that they're fascinated with the color and texture, and maybe they don't see a lot of hair? I'm not Muslim but I've traveled to Israel and Jordan, and there are little to no light-haired people. I can't actually recall ANY. Everyone I met had olive skin and black hair and dark eyes.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i have no idea. i am muslim but born and raised in america where touching is a NO NO. LOLOLOL.
    it's definitely not a religous thing. LOL so i guess it could be cultural. i was in a conference the other day alongside muslims and a woman came and rubbed her hand all over my head.. i was quite disturbed by it..but i realize that she was being playful and sisterly. so i just chalked it up to love.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• bump. I'm waiting for an answer from a real Muslim woman. I have blond hair and the little black girls in my neighborhood use to love to play with my hair, but they always asked my permission first. So I really want to know if it is the color or the texture or the personal space thing or maybe children are just public property like people here with rub and pregnant woman's belly without thinking about it. Somebody answer please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 28, 2009