is Sotomayor racist/sexist?

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn't lived that life." (Sonia Sotomayor at Univ. of Cal., Berkeley, 2001).

Sonia Sotomayor may even believe her own B-S. In roughly 30 words, she managed to be both racist and sexist. One striking fact is that she devalues the experience of everyone who is NOT Latina (or even Latino?). She is making the outrageous claim that her experience is more valuable -- richer -- than yours -- unless you happen to be a female Latina who grew up in the South Bronx. What arrogance! What narcissism! Yes, if a white male said anything similar, he would be hooted at, scorned, and disgraced. But because Sotomayor is a Latina -- although certainly not a wise one -- she may get away with it. Because of her ethnicity and gender, she will be held to lower standards than you.

Gemmi280

Asked by Gemmi280 at 6:07 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WHY is it that this administration keeps making a big deal about putting in the right kind of people, just not the right person for the job, mostly due to lack of ethics? The whole government is being skewed this way from the POTUS on down. Race and gender are not being equalized, they are being made EVERYTHING and things like qualifications, experience, ethics and morals, are of no importantce. I thought this was supposed to be a post-racial society, but every appointee is being carefully selected to fill a certain quota, X many women, X many Hispanics, X many African Americans, X many Whites... That is the very opposite of post-racial.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• This entire administration is all about egos, secrets, double standards, improper conduct, semantics, and multiculturalism and most of all, lack of proper and effective experience--in the areas that matter most! ::sigh::
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:17 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am Hispanic.

Yes she is.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:37 AM on May. 28, 2009

• The New Haven Ct Fire Dept Case has me questioning her.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• yeah, i just saw that on GMA...also questionable!
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 8:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• what was that quote in reference to? A case? if you can provide the link to that story, after I read what she was referring to then I'll be able to make an inform decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• She could be. It's nearly impossible to tell what people subscribe to unless they outright say it. The next best thing to them saying it loud and proud is watching the things they do. Does she make rulings that are racist or sexist? If so, I would gather that this would show her racist / sexist tendencies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i don't really have time to do your homework for you...is your google button broken? it gives the needed info in the opening sentence...it was a speech she gave at Berkley in 2001...

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/05/26_sotomayor.shtml

"I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage." ~Sotomayor

her entire speech is about gender and color of skin...if that's not racist and sexist what is?!?

Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 9:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i don't have time to do your homework for you..is your google button broken...............................When you post something, add the link to your ramblings.

She is not racist.Are you OP??????

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My issue with that statement is had a white male made a statement of the like he would have been ripped limb from limb and labeled every kind of bigot and racist there is...no matter what is party affiliation. Its a double standard and a very unacceptable one at that.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:35 AM on May. 28, 2009