What foods can you eat and not eat on a low carb diet?

My dr. had no info on this diet i am suppose to follow. I looked it up on line but got a little confusing looking at all the sites. Any help would be great..Janice

summerbreeze55

Asked by summerbreeze55 at 6:18 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Nothing white is what I was told, but actually milk was OK. But no white sugar, white grains, white potatoes, white bread, white noodles, white flour. To really cut back on carbs, eat only meat, vegetables (except potatoes, corn, dried beans), eggs, cheese, dairy (no ice cream- it has sugar.) There are low carb choices in the freezer section of the grocery store, and check the carb amount when you buy other things. You can have a pretty decent diet with meat, veg, dairy. Eat lots of vegetables- salads, greens. I found that I was hungry all the time, so some whole grain might help that- brown rice, or sweet potatoes, or a slice of whole grain bread or whole grain breakfast cereal.

Answer by Bmat at 8:06 AM on May. 28, 2009

• You avoid foods that are heavy in empty carbs, like breads, rice, pasta, potatoes, most hot and cold cereals and starchy veggies like peas, corn, squash and sweet potatoes. Anything that has refined sugar, like cakes, cookies, pies, sweets, etc. are also not allowed. Avoid sugary drinks like sodas and juices. Limit the amount of milk and yogurt that you eat because they have dairy sugars (lactose).
    Foods that you CAN eat are lean meats, eggs, fresh/steamed veggies, fresh fruit (these have carbs because of the fructose but they also are full of vitamins and nutrients you need), salads, high fiber cereals like All-Bran (the high fiber in it makes this a great choice) and cooked dry beans or lentils (again, high fiber). If you don't mind artificial sweeteners, go ahead and have diet sodas, sugar free jello and sugar free puddings (the pudding will have a few carbs because of the milk), sugar free yogurt (same as the pudding)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• When I worked out at Curves they had a low carb diet program there, not sure if that's still the one that they do but if you have a Curves in your area they may be able to help you out or have a book for you to follow, also check out on Curves.com and see if they have anything to follow. When I did the diet & exercise through there you started out the first 2 weeks being allowed 20 carbs/day then eventually upped to 60. You could eat sugar free things once your body was adjusted a little but the first like 4 weeks you were to have no candy/sweets of any kind! Watch out for sugar free things anything that ends with 'tol' or 'bitol' will give you gas and possible diahrhea if you have too much of it at one time. Otherwise lots of low fat proteins, any green veggies, should stay away from pops including diet if you really want to lose and instead make some of the sugar free crystal light mixes, or generic brands. Good luck!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 8:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm at approx 40 carbs a day. I eat a lot of veggies and some fruits (no bananas or mangos) mostly apples and grapes. I eat lean protien but not milk or yogurt - I stick to salmon, chicken, lean beef and lean pork. My biggest issue is portion control so I'm have ing 6 oz of lean protien every meal and equal or more on occasion of veggie. I do plurge on tea with honey on occasion or 12oz of diet soda at lunch. Other than that I drink between 64oz - 96oz of water w/ Crystal light a day (2 packets). Water helps keep things movin' (so to speak) so I make sure I stay hydrated. For example - last night for dinner I had 6oz top sirloin, steamed brocolli and a small portion of cheesy mashed cauliflower.
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 1:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You need to avoid white flour, refined sugar, white potatoes, and bananas.  There's more, that's all that comes to mind atm.

Eat 100% whole wheat bread. Fruits and vegetables (Spinach, sweet potatoes and carrots are especially good). Eggs. Yogurt . Low Fat Cheeses. Lean Meats. Low Fat/Skim Milk. Eat at least 3 colors of veggies per day. Whole Wheat pastas (al dente). Beans (in moderation). Brown rice and barley. Drink lots of water.  Low Carb Food List

I'm on a Low GI diet, as I am extremely hypoglycemic, so I basically eat low carb, but not exactly. I will eat bananas which have roughly 27g of carbs, because 1. I like them and 2. the sugar breaks down slowly into my system. I usually have it in a breakfast shake in the morning because I can't eat right away.

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009