Help!?! Cat question

I have a cat who is a little over a yeaar old - she is upto date on her shots, is spayed, and never goes outside. Last night she started hissing at my other cat and acting really weird - we called the 24 hour vet hospital and they didnt seem worried. This morning I noticed that while she drank water she hasn't went in her litter box and she is still hissing if she even sees my other cat (we've kept them apart all night) ANy ideas what might cause my kitty to act this way? I am so afraid that somethign is terribly wrong and my vet doenst open for anoter hour - any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Pets

• funny enough my cat started doing this the youngest is just over a year and the oldest 4 and abit!! sound bizzare but cats are really private creatures and in the end (just to try it) we provided them with a liter tray each they both used each others but it stopped the hissing!! can imajine in the wild no two cats will poo in the same tray its just a thought try and see i wouldnt worry too much on anything being wrong woth the cat!! medically!! there just stubborn
    mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 6:47 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Rabies? Unless the cats have been fighting and you just haven't seen it...? Does the cat hiss at you or try to bite you? (if so it sounds like rabies or she's hurt in some way)..
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• she doenst hiss at me but she isnt to fond of my DH who attemptd to see if she was hurt. She also doenst hiss at our dogs - I just dont know what could be wrong - she had her rabies shots like all our other animals asn isnt ever outside
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It sounds like cystitis to me- a problem in the urinary tract that is treatable by medication. Sometimes when our cats are upset, they hiss at the others, just on general principal. So if you cat is in pain she may just be "striking out" at the other cat- not at you or the dogs because she may be more afraid of you and the dogs, but at the other cat because the other cat is lower in the pecking order. I agree about getting her to the vet as soon as possible. Please post a followup so we know what the vet says?

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 AM on May. 28, 2009

• the vet said female cats dont usually have urinary probeessm and its more likely she's injured . they wont even see her until 7:00 tinght - they just told be to make her comfortable and keep the other animasl away from her - I am so frustrated
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I had two female cats get urinary problems at the same time, so I know they can. And we had a female cat before that that had to have medication every day to prevent cystitis. If she won't urinate then this is an important symptom and I'd worry about letting her go for that length of time. Did you tell the office that she drinks but doesn't urinate? Is there another vet that you could find to take her to? Could you call your vet back and say a friend of yours is worried that the cat is drinking but not urinating and made you call them back to clarify- I understand about not wanting to bother them, but I am worried about the lack of peeing?

Answer by Bmat at 8:27 AM on May. 28, 2009

• If I took one of my cats had been to the vet, the other would hiss at him. I think it was because they smelled funny from being at the vet. Sometimes they just hiss at each other for no reason- they are cats. By nature they are just fickle. I wouldn't worry unless some physical symptoms are present.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• the vet said to just make sure she had water and a litter box available and even the 24 hour hospital still thinks she can wait to see her regular vet - and you'd think they would want the $200 just for the emergency office visit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on May. 28, 2009

• ok - so we're back from the vet and my poor kitty is having muscle spasms in her spine - the vet said there isnt any way to tell if it was an injury or a neurological defect - poor baby got muscle relaxers

Anonymous