Getting up TOO Early

I am at my wits end. My son gets up way too early. Not in a "I just don't want to get up when he does" way, but as in, 5am. I don't know what to do. It's been going on for about a year now. I've tried everything. He gets up so early that I still have to give him a nap because he's tired and unbearable by noon. I've thought that if I took away his nap it'd cause him to sleep in later. No such luck. I've tried putting him to bed later at night. Doesn't matter. Just yesterday we ran errands all day so I skipped his nap and thought that if MAYBE he skipped his nap and I laid him down when his 6 year old sister went to bed, that he would sleep in just a little while longer. Nothing. This morning he was up at 4:45. I lay him back down every single time, it's not like I make it okay for him to be up -- And I tell him it is NOT time to be up. If I am lucky he will go back to sleep for about an hour. I don't know what to do.

MamaChanny

Asked by MamaChanny at 7:33 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is ther a noise that is waking him up- try a sound machine- it helped my baby sleep longer- my hubby snores. The school buses used to wake him up- there is a stop outside our house, but not anymore.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 7:39 AM on May. 28, 2009

• He actually has a radio in his room that he's had for background noise since he was a baby. I still use it but I've actually tried not using it thinking somehow it was waking him up. I've even tried blacking out his windows with blankets or tin foil -- and that didn't work either.
    MamaChanny

Answer by MamaChanny at 7:42 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My Daniel, 2 years, has always done the same thing. We have him slleping until 6 now, but occasionally it is still 5 or 5:30. We did put a noisy fan in the room and that has helped. He sleeps deeper and isn't as likely to stir in the early morning when he hears something. Other than putting him back in bed and listening to the screaming I have no ideas! Thankfully he doesn't wake his 3 year old brother who he shares a room with. When he gets older I have thought about putting a nightlight on a timer and telling him he can't get up until the light comes on. You can set the time for his normal wake up time and slowly increase it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Actually, try an earlier bedtime. Kids that are overtired will wake early. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.The worst thing you can do is skip naps or keep up too late- they will just wake earlier and earlier. It's a vicious cycle.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

• black out shades. white noise machine.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 3:05 AM on May. 29, 2009