Did ur teeth get messed up when u where pregnant by diabeties?

I went to the dentist and I need root canal and 3 filling- I brush everyday and floss, etc. My teeth where bleeding- the gums -when I was pregnant and I had Diabeties. The dentist said it messed up my teeth and I need scaling done now. I guess if ur pregnant and u read this- you should go get ur teeth checked by the dentist. I did not go when I was pregnant- because I knew I couldnt have xrays done. I had miscarriages- so I was being really careful. Did this happen to anyone else?

pamom222

Asked by pamom222 at 7:54 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Health

• When i pregnant and had diabetes! My teeth where not bad! And having diabetes while you are pregnant does not really ruin your teeth! It has to be something eles that caused this! You really should see your doctor before your dentiest! About this! And see what your doctor has to say!
    babyboomer1957

Answer by babyboomer1957 at 9:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I've had 4 pregnancies while diabetic. I never had trouble.

Did you get enough calcium and vitamins while you were pregnant? Did you get dental care (they don't take xrays every visit and they won't if you're pregnant or else they'll use a lead apron if they HAVE to have xrays) while you were pregnant? Did you get regular dental care before you were pregnant? Those are all important factors whether you are pregnant or not, diabetic or not.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Pregnancy is hard on the teeth and gums regardless if you have diabetes or not.  I lived in England while I was having my babies and because of this, dental care is free for pregnant women up to a year after the baby is born.   I took full advantage of that;)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I too was told that diabetes caused me to have gum disease while pregnant, and the paper work they gave me said ur chances increase 50 more for gum disease when u have diabetes. I had alot of work done and my baby is 1 now-so it does happen to some people.
    Anonymous