What constitutes hate?

In your opinion, what is hate? How do you express hate? Is hate when someone disagrees with a lifestyle or belief? Or is it when they decide that people with that lifestyle or belief should be punished (whether that punishment be to be beaten or just rallyed against)?
For me, hate is when someone actullay feels that a lifestyle or belief should be punished. When someone actually speaks out against something. For example, I hate ignorance. I do all I can to educate the people I meet (and, no, not just about religion). So, i am trying to fight ignorance the best I can.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 8:18 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think hate starts in the heart. You can really control what a person thinks in their minds and hearts and feels about a certain subject or group of people. Thats their right. They may be wrong in so many ways, but they still have the right. When they begin to actively pursue in physical form such as actions against those people, then I think that right begins infringing upon someone else life or activities, then I think it can be considered hate. Words can count as hate but I firmly believe in the freedom of speech. As a christian, God tells me to guard my tongue because out of it I can speak life or death. So that means to me that just because I don't like something or dont agree, doesnt meant I get to talk trash about them...ohh, I need to work on that. Still, its all in perspective and open for interpretation. I could think that homosexuality was wrong (not saying I do) and teach my kids that its wrong. Thats not hate.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Thats just me disagreeing with the lifestyle. I don't have the right to speak out against the person. But I feel that there will be a day when SO many things will be considered hate speech or hate crimes. You won't be able to just say how you feel about anything.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Irrational dislike. Meaning the emotion of fear, distrust or dislike is so strong it exceeds what is rational. Feeling an entire group of people is something you need protection from when they only have a single characteristic in common - skin color, religion, sexual orientation. Or ascribing attitudes and behaviors to someone based on a non-related characteristic - assuming your new neighbor is a drug dealer because they're black and stay up late, or assuming they are a terrorist because they are Muslim.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I really don't know how to define the term 'hate.' Because of that, I try not to use it. I guess I would consider the 'irrational dislike' that NotPanicking speaks about as prejudice... when you base your assumption about people on a single characteristic, you are being prejudiced even if you are not being hateful (my mom, for instance, believes that asian people are smarter than everyone else... prejudice but not exactly a hateful prejudice.) I would define when you actively seek to subdue people who you disagree with as oppression (ie. denying gay marriage to me is oppression, just as it was oppression to deny women the vote or blacks their freedom under slavery.) I guess personally I feel if we use 'hate' to mean 'disagree' it loses it's power... to me 'hate' is to actually wish or to commit ill on another person with malice. Gay bashing is an act of hate... campaigning to stop gay marriage is an act of oppression.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:57 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Disliking gay people because of their 'lifestyle' is an act of prejudice. They are all interconnected, but not necessarily all the same. Do I think that having preconceived beliefs against a certain group is wrong is the same as singling out an individual and lynching them from the nearest tree? No, of course not. For that reason I think the term 'hate' is overused and that many people may be prejudiced or may support oppression without actually crossing the line into outright hatred and wishing ill on people. To me it's an example of how words have power, and we may do a better job of promoting tolerance if we stopped labeling those whose views we disagreewith as 'hateful' by default. It's really just another prejudice, right?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Anger at someone or something or a group that doesn't fit into your little box of what is "right".
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Hate, IMO, is not disagreeing with someone. Hate is when you hold anger, bitterness, or resentment against someone. Hate, in your example, would be having a disagreement and then holding it AGAINST them, thinking less of them for it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think that fear and ignorance breed hate.

So many people say they "hate" something, but can't back it up with logic or reasoning. If you have a reason for hating something that's one thing. I, for example, can say with full honesty that I hate cooked spinach. I hate it because it tastes very yucky and makes me want to vomit when I put it on my tongue. That is logic and reason. If, however, you don't have a valid logical reason for hating something (such as the white supremacist hating black people because, well, they're black . . .), then you should re-think your position.

Most hatred is based on fear and lack of knowledge - Conservative Right Wing Fundamental Christians hating Witches, for example. They hate Witches because they fear them. They know nothing about the history or religion, only what urban legends and lies have been told. And they have no desire to find out the truth, either. That is also illogical.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• For most people you arent friends with you would still care if they are hurt or die but if you truely hated another you would have no regard for them at all.

This is the definition I got online.
    To dislike intensely; to feel strong hostility towards.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Hate is relative as we all have our seperate emotions and some are more patient and tolerant of others. I think the Bible sums it up well; it says that to hate someone is to get to the point where you desire to kill them (I John 3:15). While murdering can certainly prove hatred, it is possible to have the feeling of hate without committing the act.

I say I have to agree. When I see true hatred manifested in society, some sort of violence is always involved. I think to TRULY hate something is to want to see it suffer and/or be snuffed out of existance.

The rationality or irrationality of a particular hatred is also relative. A "Righteous Indignation" is a type of hatred that desires something negative to be eliminated. That's also relative.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:31 PM on May. 28, 2009