How do you feel about tweens and cell phones?

my daughter is 11 and she always bugging me about a cell phone. its driving me crazy. I dont think shes old enough to have one but when i tell her that she replies with all the kids and her class have one but her. i dont know what to do i can really afford to put another one on my plan. any advice?

heatherscrazy4

Asked by heatherscrazy4 at 8:57 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• TOO YOUNG!!! My 10 yr old wants one. I said we'll CONSIDER it when she is 13. Even though a lot of her classmates have one, it is in my opinion that a lot of kids are also growing up way too fast.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 9:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• That is the excuse I always have my parents..."all the kids in my class has one"
    My mom always said, I am not every one elses mom., Im yours and I said no.
    If you can't afford it then just explain it to her. Tell her when she gets a little older and she shows some responsibility then maybe you will consider getting her a prepaid phone.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• my daughter go her first cell phone at age of 11. she still has that same cell phone to this day. if you can't afford it then just explain it to her.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 9:11 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i think she is to young but if you want her off your back you can get her a phone that can only call 911 or you and they she cant get mad that she dosent have one.
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:18 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My kids are 11 & 6 and they both have bugged me about getting a cell phone. Yes, my 6 year old has begged me for a cell phone. I've told them both they will have to wait until they are at least 15. When they are in high school and will need one to get in touch with ME because they are out with their friends then I will consider getting them each one. At that time they will have to show me they are responsible enough to have one and EARN it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 9:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My son is almost ten and he wants one. I told him we will talk as he gets older and more responsible and may be away from us more and may need to call us. As it stands now, he goes to school, comes home, and when he plays with friends I have the parent's number as they have mine so there is NO need for him to have a cell phone. I think it is the difference between giving in to a child's wants rather than providing for their needs and not indulging every little thing they want just because some of their friend's parents do... I know of some parents who have given their kids cell phones in 1st or 2nd grade, which I find ridiculous!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I dont think they are needed till your kid is in high school. And even then im not to sure about it. I got mine when i was 13 just started high school and the only reason i got one was because i was in cheer and my mom never knew when i would be done for her to pick me up. But tell your DD that your not suposed to be having cell phones in class to begin with. The schools have phones for a reason. Kids are getting cell phones and computers at way to young of an age now i just dont get it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My boys are 12 10 and 8. The 12 year old has one that his dad pays for. He got it about a year ago & does really well with it & doesn't abuse it. I'm thinking of switching to a prepaid because as much as its used it will be cheaper and I'm probably going to be paying the bill soon. My 10 yo wants one and I'm considering it for his bday in Sept bc hes in a lot of activities. Same deal... he does chores to earn $ for minutes. If you're lazy, you don't get mins. The 8 yo, my SS lives with us & has one that his Gma got for him. But we told him he has to keep it at his moms. We told him we don't allow it, but what can we say except just don't bring it home? he doesn't need one. Hes NEVER without an adult. I asked him who he calls and he said his gma or aunt. Thats it. We don't even have the number. It's a toy. I always said our rule was when you turned 12, but it was broken with the oldest already, so now its when you need it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter is going to be 13 next month but she has been buggin me since she was 10. i thinking about buying her a prepaid one. She is going with friends more. and i want her to have it for safty. maybe let her have one only when she is away from you. like if she goes with friends or something. I think for about 20 bucks you can get a trac. phone. and let her know manage your minutes. because we know girls those minutes will be gone like that. then there bugin you for more. hehehe
    pen

Answer by pen at 12:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• omg...tht was meeee every1 had but me but it was a lie lol.....u see 10 yr olds with pimp cellphones..and its from parents who are rich so now the parents with lesser money look bad jus explain we dont have the money for it.wat if u loose it then ur realy shit out of luck...its a battle ur gunna have to keep sayin no nope no not yet!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 1:11 PM on May. 28, 2009