• In the Spotlight:

tolerence and acceptance: who sees the difference?

Tolerence: "a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry"

Acceptance:
1. the act of taking or receiving something offered.
2. favorable reception; approval; favor.
3. the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.
4. the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.

I think number 3 under acceptance is the one most applicable here. There is a difference between tolerating something you don't believe in and accepting it. For the most part, people who campaign for something or want something passed under law would like tolerence and not necessarily acceptance. I've been following some of the posts on here recently and I honestly think some people don't know the difference.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:05 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i see a difference. I've never gone out of my way to prevent anyone's rights to be taken away just because I believe differently because I don't want to see anyone turn around and prevent me from enjoying my rights - whatever they may be. However, because I think and believe differently doesn't mean I have to accept their practices and beliefs as my own.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:12 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I know the difference, but I have to disagree. I think that people truly want everybody to have acceptance for everything. If you don't then you're a called a bigot and such.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 9:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree with you OP, and I have said so before. There is a difference. While I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to ask for tolerance, to expect acceptance is reaching a little far.

Well said Ladybugkisses.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't see much difference between the two, to be honest. To me, to tolerate something is accepting something. I don't even like the word tolerate, it's bandied around too much. I much prefer the word RESPECT. For example, homosexuality. It's not a lifestyle I believe in, it's not a lifestyle I have to tolerate, or accept. But I can respect those who do, just because they are human beings. For me, it is easy to differentiate between the person and the action.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree that most people dont know or understand there is a difference.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:31 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I tend to see it oppositely from the way you do. I think when tolerance is preached, what people really want is acceptance, even approval.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• anon :29 while I don't agree with you and think there is a difference between the two, I have to say that I very much admire your way of seeing things and wish there were more people out there like you :)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:35 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Honestly I never thought of it. I use the two terms synonymously... Thanks for making me think about this....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It is human nature to want exceptance is it not. When you get a new hair cut or outfit you want someone to say "hey that looks great." (I know not that great of comparison) or a better one when you bring a new BF home to meet the parents, you want him to be excepted. It's just human nature.

\Anon I too wish there was more people out there like you. Respect is such a better word and way of looking at things. Your awesome lol

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2009