I can only afford to put my 1 year old in one activity in addition to MDO. What do you suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure what MDO is? however, since cost is a concern, why not look into free activities? Join a playgroup (or create your own), find a library or book store that has story time, some malls have kids groups with minimal fees, etc. It depends on what you want to accomplish with this activity.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:32 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I would check into your library or some local churches. A lot of those will have reading groups or play-times and Mommy and Me activities.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Swimming lessons!
    Babies are naturally good swimmers at that age it's a great time to start.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 9:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Mothers day out? Thats a great program and for a one yr old....thats all you need. Now during the summer when MDO isnt going on, then swimming lessons is so much fun. Its one activity for a few weeks and then its over. Its not overly time consuming and gets them used to the water. They dont do MDO when summer is here, right? Or is it all year round? Other than swimming, don't put your child into any more activities. Its a bad habit to get into because next year you will want something else. I know kids in our community that play sports like football in the fall and baseball in the spring, and then they take piano, ballet, chorus, wrestling...ect. Many children are in 3 different activites. This mom that lives in the next neighborhood over only has two kids. They are 8 and 10 I think. She has almost 6 different things between the two of them. What ever happened to family time? Its crazy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:57 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Why does your one year old have to be in activities?! I guess it is good to have them in thing's and around other kids, but my little guy will be 1 in July, and he will not be in any kind of activity, and I guess I never have even thought about that! Should I be? He will be in ECFE this fall. That's a great thing to go to. I always bring my kid's there. Other then that, there is nothing around my area for toddlers that young.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2009

• DD loves gymnastics.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I have been taking my DD to the library twice a week since she was 11 mo. old (now 17 mo.), she loves to read so we take books out & pick up used ones for cheap at library booksales. I also take her to playgroup once a week too & she loves that. Playgrounds are great & we have made sevearl friends, once school is out u can play on those playgrounds. Playdates with friends you go to their house or they come to yours. Window shopping at stores we love to do this. One mall near us has a playcenter in the middle of it for kids to play on for free is great for winter time. Just look around you will find things to do for free :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Most one year old activities (other than something like daycare) will require parent participation, too. I think the MDO that you are a part of is plenty. I agree to look at local libraries, churches, etc. fro a playgroup, too.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:27 PM on May. 28, 2009