1 year old is a thrower

My 13 month old boy throws EVERYTHING sometimes at people, is anyone else dealing with this, any suggestions.

billyjrsmomma

Asked by billyjrsmomma at 9:23 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL. I remember those days! My son is now 2 and has finally stopped throwing (for the most part). Our rule was if he threw anything other than a ball, he got one warning about not throwing then we'd take it away. Usually we'd take it away for an hour or so but some toys we ended up taking away until he was older (who thought wooden balls were a good idea for a 1 yr old anyway???). You need to be very consistent on this. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on May. 28, 2009

• LOL Welcome to toddlerhood! You just have to be firm and say 'no throw' about a billion times. If he continues, give him a 'time out' (meaning take him away from the situation in a boring location) explain to him in simple terms what he did wrong, and then continue on with your day. It's all about consistency at this age. I hope that helps.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 9:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My little girl who is 2 now, did this when she was around a year and a half. She would throw everything on the floor and wait for someone to pick it up for her! We have a split level home, and it seemed like 5o times a day she would throw her bottle, toy's, and even food down the stairs and cry until we would go and pick it up for her!!
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 9:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter is 23mnths old and throws and hits. Everyone tells me it's a fase but we'll see! I've been putting her in time out everytime she does it and it's working! We have a really boring corner where time out is! She doesnt move and just stays there! After time out is over I sit next to her and just tell her no throwing! Thats not nice!
    usaf_wife_2005

Answer by usaf_wife_2005 at 10:10 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Mine thinks it is funny to throw food from her high chair (which the dogs appreciate hahahaha). I simply say NO, and don't give her a reaction. If she continues to throw food, I take it away. Usually this is a sign they are full or bored.
    Sassinaglass

Answer by Sassinaglass at 10:18 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah, and make sure you don't pick something up more than once, Then they think it is a game.
    Sassinaglass