How long does it take a tree to die once it is stuck by lighting?

A tree in my yard was struck by lighting a week ago (you can see where it struck but it does not go all the way down the trunk). My insurance company will only give me $500 to put towards the tree. It will cost at least $900-1200 to cut it down. We are thinking of just leaving the tree alone and letting it stay but I am scared that it will fall one day and cause damage on our property or my neighbors (its a tall pine tree). It a tree gets struck does that mean that for sure it will die or perhaps it will die?

brown13

Asked by brown13 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2008 in Home & Garden

• It depends on how poweful the lightening strike went.You can leave it and cover it up with viney things like wisteria or ivey. How deep the roots are is important
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2008

• tree is still is still alive in certain areas. wait a while to see what part has died and then cut out the dead stuff. Beside if hard wood you can cut it up for fire wood and make some money
    summer370

Answer by summer370 at 3:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2008

• a pine tree has a long taproot that goes straight into the ground, not like a deciduous tree that has roots that sprawl out. deciduous trees tend to fall with bad stroms pine trees do not. so your tree may take about 6 months or more to completely dry out if it died, but it may never fall. you will have dead branches break and fall off continuously every storm until the tree is branchless. i would leave the tree alone and see what happens this winter.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2008