How do I get rid of my baby's cough?

He is 6 months old, and has been coughing non stop. He does breathing treatmernts every morning. Nothing seems to help.

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 9:32 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • unfortuneately there really is nothing, other than time, for a cough to go away. Humidifier going in the room can help, so can turning the shower on HOT and holding your baby in the bathroom with the shower going
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Does he have asthma?
    try putting him in some steam.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Make sure you give him water after each feeding to clear out his mouth and help the milk break up. Keep him elevated and use a cool mist humidifier along with a vaporizer as much as possible. Our daughter had to have a breathing treatment with an inhaler 4 times a day along with 3 nebulizer treatments during the day to clear hers up. Suck as much stuff out of his throat as you can as he coughs it up. Stand in hot bathroom with him for the steam and other than that wait it out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:37 AM on May. 28, 2009

• What is the reason for the breathing treatments? If it's asthma, some of the advice given may make it worse depending on the type of asthma.

If it's for another reason, it depends on the reason.

My two youngest have asthma aggrevated by colds. At their worst, they have two treatments of pulmicort per day and albuterol as needed (often every 2 hours).

If his coughing is non-stop and the treatments aren't helping you really should talk to the doctor about changing his treatment.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I would call your doctor. My girfriends child had a seemingly innocent nagging cough. When she took him to teh doc it turned out he had PNEUMONIA! At this age when they can't tell you whats going on I wouldn't mess around with a constant cough
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• thanks for all the answers, i went to the doctor, he basically said he may have asthma, or it could be brought on by allergies and sometimes babies just get sick. he had pneumonia when he was 2 months. in the last couple of days he's been gasping for air it seems, especially when he's playing on the floor or eating.
    i heard using a nose apirator isnt good for him?? something about swelling??
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 12:33 PM on May. 29, 2009