Why so many Christian contradictions about where you go when you die?

When it comes to the afterlife, most Evangelicals would say Christians go directly to Heaven to be with the Lord, some would say we go to a temporary heaven (traditionalists). Seventh Day Adventists and some other Christian groups say there is a "soul sleep" (conditionalists) where the person is in some sort of suspended state until the final judgment. Catholics believe that Purgatory is a step before Heaven where believers are cleaned up for the "wedding banquet" of the Lord in Heaven.

Where is the evidence for 'Purgatory' in the Bible and why is it that only the Catholics believe in such a place?

Why are there contradicting versus throughout the Bible about 'soul sleeping' and the spirit leaving the body at death?

Which one do you believe in and why?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:37 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the Bible, when Lazarus was dead and laying in the tomb (before Jesus resurrected him), Jesus told Lazarus's sister "he sleeps". He didn't say he was in Heaven or in hell. That is where the idea of "soul sleep" comes in. And I believe when we die, we rest in the Lord. We have no thoughts, memory, recollection, dreams, nothing. We are simply "asleep". The Bible says when the Lord returns that "the dead in Christ shall rise first", meaning specifically that no one that is dead (except the ones that the Bible mentions went straight to Heaven without dying) is in Heaven yet. If we got straight to Heaven at death, how does Jesus call the dead up at His return? We would still have to be dead on Earth. I believe the same for hell. I don't think hell has started yet. That is just my opinion on hell, but God being a fair God, I don't think He would let someone burn for 6,000 years more than somebody else who committed the same sins.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Neither, I will either go in a crematorium or the ground in a nice box. Once I am dead I believe there is no after life, you soul passes to that of a child which is born as you take your last breath and they take their first one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I just believe you die and that's it... but I'm just interested in why so many people who are supposed to be the same faith think totally different things!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:52 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Because no one knows.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Why do care what contradicts your beliefs? You believe you die and that is it. Someone else believing you go to heaven doesnt hurt you at all so just let them believe that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't see what's contradictory about it. As the Bible, God's written word says, if you accept Jesus as your Savior, you go to Heaven. If you choose not to, you don't go to Heaven. What's contradictory about that?
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2009

• What one believes is not what is important. The truth is what matters. The way to learn the truth is to read the Bible for oneself, praying as you read, asking the Author of the Book to reveal the truth. When the Bible is approached in that manner, God will reveal to you exactly what you need to know. The Bible warns us against debating issues and quarreling over them. It is entirely possible to believe a lie, and many people do, largely because they have accepted the opinions of someone else. There are many good concordances for the Bible. You can look up the topic in which you are interested and find every verse of Scripture that relates to that topic. Most of the time, you will need to read the surrounding verses to grasp the context. Some of the Bible is in parables, and that makes a difference in the meaning. Just remember to pray as you read.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2009

• There is an element of time that lmits our human understanding. Let's say for a moment that at the time of YOUR death that YOU are transported in time to the end days, judgement day or whatever you want to call it. Then during the time while your body rots in the ground your soul has already moved past that time. Then when you got to heaven you wouldn't have to miss your relatives who were still alive. Then it would be pointless to pray to the dead. That would also explain how Jesus told the thief on the other cross that "today" you will be with me in paradise while at the same time Jesus went to open the gates of Hell from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. Time means nothing to God and will mean nothing to us as well once we leave the limitations of this life. I hope that make sense to at least some of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Answered at 9:04 AM on May. 28, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    There is an element of time that lmits our human understanding. Let's say for a moment that at the time of YOUR death that YOU are transported in time to the end days, judgement day or whatever you want to call it. Then during the time while your body rots in the ground your soul has already moved past that time. Then when you got to heaven you wouldn't have to miss your relatives who were still alive. Then it would be pointless to pray to the dead. That would also explain how Jesus told the thief on the other cross that "today" you will be with me in paradise while at the same time Jesus went to open the gates of Hell from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. Time means nothing to God and will mean nothing to us as well once we leave the limitations of this life. I hope that make sense to at least some of you.

HUH???!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 28, 2009

• stvmen, apparently you didn't read the question the poster clearly pointed out the contradiction among various christian beliefs, maybe you should reread her question and your bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 28, 2009