Is it possible that the OPKs just didn't pick up on me ovulating?

I took 2 OPKs every day from the end of my period until the start of my next period - and I NEVER got a positive OPK, not even close!

I waited the 4 hours not drinking anything before taking them, I took one a 12pm and one at 8pm every day - how could I have missed it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It is possible that you missed it. The LH surge only lasts so long, so it's completely possible. I believe the recommendation, if you're going to take 2 a day, is to take them 12 hours apart; that might help. And it's also possible, like the PP said, that you didn't ovulate last month. It doesn't mean there are any fertility issues, it's completely normal to have a random anovulatory cycle every once in a while (I had one the month before I got pregnant with my second). It might help to use some other method in addition to OPK's, like checking cervical mucus (just on the toilet paper is enough, you don't necessarily have to stick your fingers up there every day) or charting your temperature. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Your hormone levels may not be high enough. They are best if used in the morning like a pregnancy test and if your well hydrated as the less hydrated you are the more acidy your urine is. If your having fertility issues maybe you didn't ovulate that month and your only ovulating out of one ovary.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:41 AM on May. 28, 2009