• In the Spotlight:

Who determines bigotry?

I see the word tossed around here so lightly and without concrete evidence. How do you determine bigotry and is it based solely on your opinion, or do you only use the word when you have enough information to substanciate your name calling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I don't like to call someone a bigot or ignorant. I don't know other people's understanding of different subjects. I think the use of those words is widely based on opinion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Stereotype discrimination or degradation of a group of people. If you want to protect your child from the gay guy who beat up your cousin, not a bigot. If you want to protect your child from anyone who is or might be gay, bigot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• lol np...love the example!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Would you say then that you require enough information to assert that someone is a bigot then? My observation is that too many people throw the word around like it's the catchphrase of the year. I know where you stand on the subject NotPanicking, and I am pretty sure you use it according the information you have gathered, as opposed to those that throw it out there without having enough information to do so.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I guess bigotry is determined by the same method as obscenity. We can't define it, but we know it when we see it. (Borrowing a little from Jef I. Richards there.) It's hard to know where to draw the line. I could list a dozen different statistics based on race and gender, they would all be facts, and I'd still be labeled a bigot by fifty percent of people. Or I could make a few outlandish statements that I myself would find appalling and there would be plenty of people who would agree with them. I think every individual's definition of bigotry is based on race, gender, upbringing, geographic location, and life experience.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 9:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't use the word.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• The ACLU!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Main Entry: big·ot
    Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
    Date: 1660
    : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

I disagree with homosexuality. I am kind and respectful to all the gays in my life. My gay brother is living with me now. I may not agree with him but I disagree with my sister who is living with her boyfriend and is having a baby with him. Still love her. Many have no idea what true intolerance or bigotry is. They just throw those words around so they feel superior.
    Anonymous

• I like the first response. I think that describes how I feel perfectly.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think it's perspective, and opinions. I myself don't call anyone names, even when one might deserve it. I think that people on here use it when they don't understand your point of view. Such as if your against gay marriage and they just can't see why they might ass-ume they you are just a bigot. (sorry but that is my favorite saying, when you assume all you do is make an ass out of yourself)

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 10:20 AM on May. 28, 2009