excessive handwashing?

My DS has been learning to wash his hands. It's really cute when he climbs on the chair beside the bathroom sink and holds his hands out for mommy to turn the water on. The only problem is....he does this EVERY time someone goes into the bathroom. Every time he gets a speck of dirt on his hands, he runs toward the bathroom.

Is this normal? Have we been too successful? It seems a little OCD to me...

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 9:46 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He learned something new. You need to use a rag or paper towel to clean small messes off his hands and let him know he doesn't need to wash his hands all the time. Its a phase and it will pass once he learns something else but don't encourage him to wash his hands all the time because he wants to, only when he needs to
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• No, he just likes washing his hands. Just tell him he only washes his hands if he uses the potty.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• LOL yea you have an OCD child lol, but fear not, it's a phase. Kids love to do stuff over and over when they learn something new
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It's probably just a phase. My son did the same thing. It's just so much fun!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh hes just having fun.I think its a good habit. Once they get to 6 or 7 and they are STILL doing that, then I might think OCD, but hes just little and having a good time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:53 AM on May. 28, 2009