Do you like being a kindergarten teacher?

I was going to school to be a registered nurse for a year and then I decided to switch my major to elementary education to be a kindergarten teacher. I decided this because as a nurse I would work CONSTANTLY and I want to be able to be with my daughter and husband. Kindergarten teacher was something I thought about doing before a nurse though. I love kids and it would feel so great to teach them their first things and I would get the nights off and weekends and summer....

Just wondering if I'm making the right decision...I'm about to start school for teaching. Any kindergarten teachers out there...let me know how you like it! :)

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 9:57 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I already am.....I homeschool....LOL....I think that if this is what you want to do, then great. I love how you considered your childs needs before your own interests. Good job mom. This gives you many opportunities to help her and teach her. I am sure there are some K mom here to give you their experiences. I just wanted to say that I think youre a great mom for that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

• First off when you zone in on a grade it doesn't mean you'll get it right away. Most of the K teachers have more seniority so it'll be a while, unless your lucky, to get that grade.

Next, the vacation time is great because it coincides with your kids. However, if you're REALLY into it, you will find yourself doing more work than you expected (lesson planning, preparing the materials) at home.

WHen you work with kids that can't hold a pencil or scissors, many of the activities you do with them have to be prepared in advance. Be sure to get a group of volunteers before!

Most importantly, teach because you want to teach not because of the vacation time. Those kids need you 100% when you're with them. First few years, there is no such thing as recess or lunch for you!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My Mom was a kinder teacher for 20 something years. You will need to get an early childhood degree because usually there are only 1 or 2 teachers for that grade so you will probably not start with that until there is an opening. My mom taught 5th grade for several years before the kinder opened up. If you have the patience than you will be great. They are very demanding. You do not teach for the money...you teach for the kids. Don't get me started on how underpaid teachers are. My sister is teaching 3rd grade now. I teach women skin care and color...lol.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 9:22 PM on May. 28, 2009