SAHM - What do you do with your toddler all day long every day?

I've been a stay-at-home-mom for a while now and all we seem to do is watch tv, make lunch and read a book or two (aside from doing laundry and tidying up).
Occasionally we'll head out to run errands, but for the most part, we hang out at home. I feel like we're so lazy and he's learning how to be lazy just like me, but when I think of going out, I wonder if I have to do that every day just to prove I'm not lazy.

What do people do all day long with 3 year olds without having to venture out all the time; what's to do at home? I don't HAVE to run errands most day, but we go out just to get out.

mybabies

Asked by mybabies at 9:58 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• go to the park, pool, walk :) im not a SAHM yet will be soon (due june 13th) but those are some ideas
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 10:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Do art projects with him. You can bake, color, do imaginative play like dress up or roll playing. Keep old cans and make a grocery store in your house, build a little tent and camp out, make an obstacle course and do it with him. Do learning activities with him like shape, color, number and letter matching. Exercise with him, go for walks, do outside work or go on an adventure. Do a scavenger hunt outside.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• With my kids on days that we dont go to the park, beach, etc we play outside our apts. They ride their bikes, pick dandilions, and sometimes we have a kiddy pool and fill it up. Their are lots of other activities you can do to. I like this one website that has ideas www.dltk-kids.com
    everything is centered by age group so it's easy.
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 10:06 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Aw mom, dont be so hard on yourself. Thats life of a sahm. Its okay, hes not learning to be lazy, hes just getting to reap the benefits of being a child of a sahm. You don't have to keep him doing something all the time. When he starts school, he has the REST of his life to be busy and going. By that time, you might want to start him in sports or music, so take this precious time and just chill. I have 4 kids and each one of them have had time at home with me. I spaced them 3 1/2 to 4 yrs apart for that very reason. Each one of them got their special time and we would watch tv, clean up and shop and my younger son is my 3 yr old now. He knows that our life is to take other kids to school, watch a little tv, help me do laundry, make lists for the other kids, pay bills and he goes shopping with me. Basically I take him everywhere. To the post office, the outlet mall. Its his life and he loves it. Dont put so much pressure on U!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:06 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I was going to say YOURSELF, but I ran out of room.....LOL...I like the pool thing. Get him a small pool and you and him lay out in the back yard. He gets to swim and you get to tan....LOL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I feel the same way. My's 3 and we read books and do arts and crafts and watch tv, plus all the house cleaning. I feel the same way somedays. I try everyday to get ina little exercise whether its going for a bike ride, a walk, playing in the hose on hot days (haven't bought a pool yet this year), use sidewalk chalk. Does the local library have a summer reading program. Picnics are a great way to get out of the house. It can be lunch, or just a snack at the park. If money permits, maybe a summer pass to the pool or a near by theme park? Is there anyplace tht offers discounted kids meals? Sometimes we go out and share a kids meal for 99 cents in the afternoon. Check into free local events, the library, schools, or a daycare should be able to tell you where to find that info if they can't give it to you.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:11 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We do nothing. My 3yo likes to play with her toys and watch TV until her siblings get home from school. We clean up a little and sometimes go for a walk (usually to the store a few blocks away). The parks around here are crap so we don't go to them. This past month she started taking an art class at our park (it's an hour 2 days a week) but it's right when the older kids get out of school.
    We like our lazy days. She's never complained. I think she likes that she gets to control the TV for a change, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I have a 4yr old (just turned 4) and a 23mnth old! We do puzzles,color,go for walks (sometimes 2 a day),take them to the park,play with the ball in the backyard,I used to go to friends house for them to play with my friends kids,join a play group,see if you qualify for Head Start in your local area.
    usaf_wife_2005

Answer by usaf_wife_2005 at 10:20 AM on May. 28, 2009

• With my two 3 year olds and my 5 year old, go to the gym, swim lessons, gymnastics classes, the zoo, run errands, go shopping, playdates with friends, clean, watch a little tv in the morning, play outside, go to the park, go walking, reading, singing, dancing,we stay very busy
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 10:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It doesn't take to much for a 3 year old, a simple walk arond the block can seem like an adventure when you're 3. As long as your child is learning it doesn't matter where you are. Most days we don't leave the house either, but I do make sure we get out and get fresh air. I try to do like a preschool would and have some sort of craft and do some flash cards. Usually if I do take them somewhere my oldest just says " When are we going back to my home?" They love being here.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 10:58 AM on May. 28, 2009