What Secrets do you have For Gardening? Cut Worm Advice?

What Secrets do you have? We like to use Chicken Manure from our chickens in the soil! When our Daughter had horses we made use of that Waste too! Our Cats & the Garden for A cat box I don't think its Helpful? Do you have A Trick for Cut worms? Anything Safe & Natural? Your Favor to reply is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:00 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try putting wet wood ashes around your plants. My grandmother saves hers in tubs during the winter, mixes them with a little water, and puts rings of the stuff around her plants. She never seems to have a problem with cutworms.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Also, if you tie your plants to stakes, using like old pantyhose that is cut into strips, this is supposed to keep cutworms from being able to damage your plants.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• we have a worm compost. We throw all our paper in there, anything that is biodegradable & the worms eat it & make worm castings. Very easy, cheap & it does not smell like a regular food compost does. And the worm castings are the best soil/fertilizer for plants. It's like magic.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• sorry, i missed the cutworm part.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:58 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Since cutworms are at ground level, I took newspaper strips and rolled them around the plant, sinking the strips a little way into the earth and about an inch higher than ground level.

Answer by Bmat at 5:17 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I use empty toilet paper rolls for young plants to keep the cutworms away - works like a charm. I cut a tube in half, slit it up one side and wrap the half around the plant, pushing it into the ground about a quarter inch at the same time.

We have a compost bin for fertilizer and a friend of mine has a horse farm and lets me take as much well-aged manure as I can carry. I also like to use hay to mark my paths through the garden, which keeps down the weeds and becomes more compost by seasons end.

You shouldn't let the cats use your garden for a litter box.....such waste is full of unwanted bacteria and disease.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:47 PM on May. 28, 2009