What sippy cup do/did you use for your 12 month old?

Right now I am having issues getting my dd (12 months old) to use her sippy correctly. She seems to hate the Born Free sippy, so I took my MIL's suggestion and got her the Munchkin sippy as it has a soft spout. The problem with that one is that she tips it up side down and it leaks everywhere! I'm getting really exasperated as I don't want to give her liquids in a bottle, but I know she needs the hydration as she is nursing less. Suggestions?

Sassinaglass

Asked by Sassinaglass at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use a cup with the straws. They fold down into the cup when its not needed. Its soft and bendable so you don't have to worry about her gagging herself with it. Have you tried the NUBY cups yet?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:07 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I use GERBER sippy cups they don't lick and they have the handles and soft top and all the tops are inter-changeable. Try them i think you will be very happy w/them.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• try the nuby ones they have in walmart with the soft spout at first. They are so much like a bottle that the baby just knows how to use it and they don't leak. They are like the cheapest ones too. Then when they get the hang of those you can go to any of them really with the hard spout. But I usually start with those.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:14 AM on May. 28, 2009

• At 12 months we went to straw cups.

The first sippy we did use ( at 6 months) was the Nuby. It has a soft spout and is "spill proof". We had good luck with them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:18 AM on May. 28, 2009

• regular cup. she started out on one at birth to avoid nipple confusion and then we put her back on one at 6 months when she started solids.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• all of mine liked the nuby kind, they seem to have different selections in that kind and all 3 of mine always used that specific kind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I used Nuby and Avent sippy cups. I liked the Avent a little more (specifically the Avent Magic Cup Trainer) and so did my kid.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 10:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We used sippy cups for a while but have recently started using cups with the fold-down straws!! My son (12 months) LOVES the straw cups and does much better with them...They cannot spill which is nice and I think he feels like a big boy when he uses it!! He gets so excited! Good luck!
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 11:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter actually preffers the straw cups. But I have bought almost every sippy/straw cups there is. They ALL leek....at least a little, especially when the child turns them up side down and hits the table with them and tries to "write" on the floor with them.....it never ends! But you could try to put the child in a booster or high chair during cup time. Or just keep teaching the child how to hold it and what to do and not to do with it...My daughter is 17 months and puts her cup on the coffee table and goes back to it when she needs a drink.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Nuby! and they are cheap too. you can get them at wal-mart for 1.00 each and they come in all kinds of colors..you can let your child pick out the color cuo they want. we did that with my DD and she loved them.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:42 PM on May. 29, 2009