I think I'm done breastfeeding. I feel so sad. My dd got nothing last night when nursing. She kept pulling and crying. I felt letdown but nothing came out. I have been pumping during the day and only get about 5 oz. A DAY. I've done everything. Is it normal to feel sad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm facing the same problem with my supply... it's sad... but I keep trying to give my son the little amount that I still have. I wanted to breastfeed to a year... I'm not going to give up on my goal even if he's only getting a small amount of what he needs in a day (we supplement with formula now, and next month going to start some whole milk)
    Look at it this way... you don't have to QUIT. You have those 5 oz to give her! You could let her have a bottle so she's not as hungry and then let her nurse afterwards so she doesn't get upset. Then she still gets that milk and you can still bond.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:10 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sure, if you enjoyed it and you can no longer do it then yes its normal. You can try to increase your supply by drinking a ton of milk and taking supplements even drinking a beer a night can help. You can speak with your doctor about meds to increase it as well.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Of course it's normal and okay to feel sad!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It's very normal. I felt sad both times. With my first we had a pretty good thing going and I missed it when it was over, but I didn't feel like a failure at all. When I was pregnant with my twins I decided I would breastfeed exclusively no matter how hard it was, and I became obssessed with how important it was to do it. With my twins it was a gruelling experience and I felt like a failure when it was over; it didn't help matters when they started really thriving after I stopped and I felt guilty for starving them before. It actually took me longer to "get over it" with the twins - I kept thinking if I had just done something different we might have been more successful and kept at it longer, and it really hurt my feelings that my family was relieved when I finally stopped and kept telling me how much better things were after I switched to formula.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Op here...how long did you feel sad for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Of course it is normal to feel sad. I would continue to pump, and get in touch with an LC at your local hospital ASAP. If you are honestly trying your best, there is nothing to feel guilty about if you need to bottle feed in the mean time.
    Sassinaglass

Answer by Sassinaglass at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• When I had to return to work when my youngest daughter was three months old, pumping was just not an option. (I managed a busy restaurant and worked around 75 hours a week.) It broke my heart to have to stop nursing her. I felt like I had abandoned my child or something. I was sad for a month before I finally had to tell myself to stop dwelling on it, that I had done the best I could. I gave her the best start possible, and I'm sure you did for your daughter too. Try not to let it upset you too much. Any breastfeeding is better than none at all, and formula feeding still gives you plenty of snuggle time, even if it is with a bottle.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• With my first (it was a long time ago - she'll be 13 this summer), and I think I was pretty sad for a couple of weeks and then off and on after that for a few more months. It's one of those things that every once in a while I would just miss it, but it didn't really overtake my life or anything. My twins are 21 months and I stopped nursing when they were 10 weeks old. With them it was much worse and more frequent for a long time. I was pretty sad about it for over a month and preiodically sad after that for about a year (it was progressively less frequent and less intense as time passed). I don't know exactly when I "got over it", but at some point I stopped worrying about it so much and I don't really regret anything I did anymore.

I don't know if it's possible, but try not to feel guilty. Try to focus on the new things your baby is learning. At some point your baby will keep you running too much to feel sad.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:55 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes its very normal. You realize its a part of the babys life thats gone. I know I was sad when my milk dried up at 4 mos with my second. I had been taking the minipill for 3 mos and thats all it took. I cried and then I got angry. I didnt know that would cause my milk to dry up. With my 3rd I was sad, but it was my choice. I couldnt take the back pain anymore. I was up to a 38 EEE and it was so painful. I thought long and hard and decided that it was time for me to get a reduction so I weaned him. My fourth....TERRIBLY SAD. Simply because I couldnt breastfeed because of my surgery to reduce the size of my breasts. They dont try to save mammory glands when they do that so she told me that I might or might not lactate. I did lactate but very little. I got about 2 oz a day for a month and then it was gone. I luckily had prepared myself but since I knew he was my last, I did cry and felt sad. I tried to ensure I bonded despite it
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:04 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I only got to breast feed for 2 months before she got on formula. It was stressful and I felt really sad because I felt like I was taking away something that was so good for her. But once I actually had stopped and formula fed her I got over it and I know I did my best with it. I think its totally normal to feel sad about it.
    Proudmama0887

Answer by Proudmama0887 at 11:07 AM on May. 28, 2009