Is abortion in the bible? ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Christian but the only time I rememberit being mentioned was in the old testament case of striking a pregant woman causing her to miscarry and the Bible said who the person who smote her should be punished. I honeslty don't remember any other instances. I still don't see how that case shows that all abortion is condemned; that's just saying that no one else should inflict it upon you. But, I'm not Christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Not sure, but thou shall not murder is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Abortion, infanticide and child abandonment were permitted under Roman law at the time of Jesus. Surprisingly, abortion is never mentioned in the Bible, despite the fact that it has been practiced throughout recorded human history.

Early Christians apparently did not view abortion as murder until well beyond conception. In the thirteenth century, Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas wrote that a soul enters the body at 40 days after conception for males and 80 days for females. That became church doctrine for many centuries, and abortion before the time of ensoulment was not considered a mortal sin. The belief that life begins at conception apparently has its origins in an 1869 decree by Pope Pius IX that abortion at any point in pregnancy was cause for excommunication.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• no it is not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am sure it happened in biblical times just because they were human and things happened. I don't think there is any specific account of it,but to say that it didnt exist would be being naive. As my grandmother says....theres nothing new under the sun....LOL. I would think that it was kept quiet to avoid embarassment, but I would not be surprised if there were back alley abortions done and even death resulting from it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:57 AM on May. 28, 2009

• The history that Ihartu presented sounds accurate. Thanks for that. Learn something new everyday.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Not specifically, but neither is porn, drugs, masturbation, rape, molestation, etc. Still doesn't mean it's not a sin. That's why God gave us a conscience and judgment. (I think rape may be in the Old Testament somewhere, I'm not 100% sure though. I haven't read the OT in awhile.)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Actually yes it is mentioned a few diffrent times. Probably not in the manner you are talking about though, There where a few of the major figures in the bible that ask why they had not been aborted, or said that they wish that they had been aborted. I am just now getting my caffine so I can't remember who right off the back I will have to get back to you on it. (sorry with out caffine I don't function well)
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:13 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Stopping pregnancy is not in the bible...Good we are all in agreement respecting life isn't a religious thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 28, 2009

• In Job 10 he wishes that he had been aborted. Under Moses's Law (the law for gods choosen) if a man's wife got pregnant by another man he was to take her and get a pill to abort the child that was not his.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:32 AM on May. 28, 2009